Got Jack

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from boxerman

boxerman

Here is my very first cigar pen on J.D. blank. From Jim. Could smell the whiskey when turning. I really like the cigar pen and plan on making alot more. CA finish and MM to 12,000. All comments welcome.

022-3.jpg

015-5.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

omb76

I bet the shop smelled good when you were working with that blank! :biggrin:

Great finish on the wood! I typically like the cigars to be a little slimmer, but you did a good job here!

PenMan1

Nice pen. I can't do very well with those Jack Daniels barrel blanks. For some reason my elbow keeps bending toward my mouth instead of toward the lathe.

jskeen

That's a big beefy pen for sure, and nicely done too. The transitions are uniform from wood to metal and seem to go together well. I'm curious if you set out to make an extra large pen and chose this shape, or if you were just making the wood go with the kit and that's where you ended up.

Good job either way.

boxerman

That's a big beefy pen for sure, and nicely done too. The transitions are uniform from wood to metal and seem to go together well. I'm curious if you set out to make an extra large pen and chose this shape, or if you were just making the wood go with the kit and that's where you ended up.

Good job either way.
Just making the wood go with the kit. I haven't done a cigar pen before. I have 3 more J.D. blanks and will try turning them smaller to see which one I like better. Nothing like a big fat cigar.LOL.:biggrin:

jaeger

Nice cigar pen Craig!
Another nice point regarding the cigar pen, it is available in a lot of different platings. I am going to try to get a few made this week. I will post some photos.

workinforwood

My opinion is that it's a really boring wood...no character or anything. I have never seen anyone shape their cigar like you did, and although I wouldn't normally care for that shape, it just plain makes sense with this blank..it's pretty cool, like two barrels stacked into a pen, so it definitely speaks whiskey. Well done..you made it interesting!

wizard

Nice pen! Good looking for your first cigar pen! I sometimes wish pens made from a material with an aroma to them (coffee beans, JB whisky blanks) could be left with a finish that you could still notice the aroma. Anyhow, I'm really glad to see you are posting and congratulations on a nice pen! Regards, Doc

boxerman

My opinion is that it's a really boring wood...no character or anything. I have never seen anyone shape their cigar like you did, and although I wouldn't normally care for that shape, it just plain makes sense with this blank..it's pretty cool, like two barrels stacked into a pen, so it definitely speaks whiskey. Well done..you made it interesting!
Thanks Jeff. I never look at it that way like two barrels stacked on the pen until you mention it and look at it again and it does.:biggrin:

Jgrden

That is a great job buddy. A little generous on the bottom portion, but what the hey, let's show off the wood.

boxerman

Nice pen... I always love Cigar style pens...you made a good work. May I ask you if the smell of that wood is so good, why did you use CA as a finish?
I didn't really notice the smell anymore after I turned it. So I I would finish it.The blanks sat out in the open for few days so i don't if thats why they didn't really smell anymore.

shadrach1944

Heaven Hill Whiskey Barrels

Great looking pen, I have made several from my Heaven Hill Whiskey barrel and they do smell good while turning.

Attachments

• HH whiskey barrel392.jpg
    HH whiskey barrel392.jpg
    86.4 KB · Views: 99
  • OlympianElite411.jpg
    OlympianElite411.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 100
  • Heaven Hill Whiskey Barrel Penx335.JPG
    Heaven Hill Whiskey Barrel Penx335.JPG
    114.6 KB · Views: 101

65GTMustang

I LIKE THE SIZE!!!!
I order several of these myself - I have not turned one yet m but looking forward to it.
I actually purchased blanks from the lid of the barrel - He was already out of the staves when I placed my order - But that is ok because they are a little thicker which means I can use them as finial tops on my hollow form lidded bowls!!!!
I have an Olive Bowl with a 6 foot base - turned off center on 3 axis - I will make a lid (not sure which wood I will contrast it with yet? But the JD blanks sounds like a good fit for a finial.

Top Bottom