Got a little time in the shop.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from writeturnz209

writeturnz209

I have only been turning for a little over 2 years. Started exploring more than just with pen blanks.
Thoughts and comments will be appreciated. I love criticism. That is the only way i will improve. I will tell what i used later. 😉
20200920_180526.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I love it! Dyed popsicle sticks? This is something so would try. Unique and fun!

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app
David, I may have made a misstatement. I used tongue depressors. Hobby Lobby or Michaels should have them. Mixed up blue and orange "Trans-Tint" liquid dye concentrate that was purchased at Highland Woodworking, Atlanta, GA. I'm sure you can find. It mixes with Alcohol. I mixed up about a quart of each color, sufficient to well cover the tongue depressors, in 1 quart canning jars, (wide mouth). If you want to experiment, you might mix the dye a little on stronger side per qt. of alcohol. Note: Do a good QC on the depressors, eliminate, chips, splits, warps, knots, etc. Make more than you need. some will warp etc., others will simply not accept dye well. Next step is the key to best dye penetration. I used my wifes vacuum sealer (Food Saver) jar sealer attachment and pulled a maximum vacuum onto the jar, after a while, I'd pull another 10-15 seconds additional vacuum, repeated at intervals. Left in solution under vacuum 24 hours. You may get better results with a longer time interval. Don't expect a deep rich dye. Not bad but still some light streaks. The yield was more than enough to make a few pen blanks, and a pen / pencil desk set. Dry thoroughly, at least 24 hours. I glued using Titebond II and clamped.
It's a lot of work for a few blanks. I believe my daughter was worth it. The results have stood the test of time, I did this 16 years ago. If you have any questions please contact me. I'll gladly try to help. All the best,

Alchemist

David, I may have made a misstatement. I used tongue depressors. Hobby Lobby or Michaels should have them. Mixed up blue and orange "Trans-Tint" liquid dye concentrate that was purchased at Highland Woodworking, Atlanta, GA. I'm sure you can find. It mixes with Alcohol. I mixed up about a quart of each color, sufficient to well cover the tongue depressors, in 1 quart canning jars, (wide mouth). If you want to experiment, you might mix the dye a little on stronger side per qt. of alcohol. Note: Do a good QC on the depressors, eliminate, chips, splits, warps, knots, etc. Make more than you need. some will warp etc., others will simply not accept dye well. Next step is the key to best dye penetration. I used my wifes vacuum sealer (Food Saver) jar sealer attachment and pulled a maximum vacuum onto the jar, after a while, I'd pull another 10-15 seconds additional vacuum, repeated at intervals. Left in solution under vacuum 24 hours. You may get better results with a longer time interval. Don't expect a deep rich dye. Not bad but still some light streaks. The yield was more than enough to make a few pen blanks, and a pen / pencil desk set. Dry thoroughly, at least 24 hours. I glued using Titebond II and clamped.
It's a lot of work for a few blanks. I believe my daughter was worth it. The results have stood the test of time, I did this 16 years ago. If you have any questions please contact me. I'll gladly try to help. All the best,
That's some solid work put into a pen! I appreciate that knowledge. My asked me to make him a pen. It sits on his bed stand table. He may not use it, but he knows it's there and that makes me smile. Thank you again, for the knowledge!

Top Bottom