Good or bad: ULTRA-SHEAR PEN MANDREL SYSTEM AND PRECISION PEN TURNING BUSHINGS

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TurningIdeas

Anyone ever use this tool? It looks awesome. I have the Mandrel Turning Centers which is much cheaper, but doesn't look like it can handle two blanks but I just bought an attachment to see if I can get that fixed.

In the mean time, anyone ever see this tool https://www.woodpeck.com/ultra-shear-pen-mandrel-system.html
It looks pretty legit. Especially without having to buy extra bushings.

Thanks for the help

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

leehljp

Member Liaison
All who have it love it. Numerous great reports here in IAP. A few have stated that it sure is better to purchase the whole set of bushings.

It is not the "do all - end all" in pen turning, but probably much better than what you have, and will probably improve your pen turning quality and skills. Great tools like this get new turners up to speed faster by eliminating mediocre tool quality - which in turn makes it hard to control the outcome skillfully, but it does not decrease the need for "experience" and "feel" of turning. But it is a Great Jump Forward!

jcm71

I bought it earlier this year and love it. I turn pen blanks using it and then do a 10 second swap out to a regular mandrel for finishing. Maybe a bit overpriced, however, I am pleased. Bushings are also top notch and better than those from other sources.

BULLWINKLE

Anyone ever use this tool? It looks awesome. I have the Mandrel Turning Centers which is much cheaper, but doesn't look like it can handle two blanks but I just bought an attachment to see if I can get that fixed.

In the mean time, anyone ever see this tool https://www.woodpeck.com/ultra-shear-pen-mandrel-system.html
It looks pretty legit. Especially without having to buy extra bushings.

Thanks for the help
Nope. It may be great but the price is ridiculous. I use a very similar one from PSI. It too doesn't use a knurled screw but also a tailstock piece with a hole for the mandrel shaft. Works great for a MUCH lower price.

TurningIdeas

Nope. It may be great but the price is ridiculous. I use a very similar one from PSI. It too doesn't use a knurled screw but also a tailstock piece with a hole for the mandrel shaft. Works great for a MUCH lower price.
You have a link?

BULLWINKLE

You have a link?
This piece goes on tailstock. Shaft of mandrel goes into hole, shortening overall length of mandrel shaft. They sell tailstock alone or tailstock piece with mandrel shaft. I've used for years and it works great.
C0EBCEEE-BCC9-4774-878C-3106A4FBD3E4.jpeg
B0883CDA-5F96-4041-9B24-981E4468FA2C.jpeg

TurningIdeas

Thanks that's the one that I have, but it rattles too much inside the mandrel saver. Have found the turning between centers tool to be the best bang for the buck. Only down side is that I can't turn both cap and body at the same time.

KenB259

Thanks that's the one that I have, but it rattles too much inside the mandrel saver. Have found the turning between centers tool to be the best bang for the buck. Only down side is that I can't turn both cap and body at the same time.
Not really a downside. I may be wrong but I think most of us turn double barreled pens separately, I certainly do.

Top Bottom