"Good Luck" Pen for Chinese New Year

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from magpens

magpens

I made this pen today to give to our neighbours who are Chinese. As you may know, red is a "Good Luck" color. "Engraved" on the pen barrel are the characters meaning "Good Luck". The blank was bought from PSI, and I think it was made by Lazerlinez. The characters were deeply engraved and I had to fill the voids with black epoxy to a flush surface, then, when dry, turned to the requirements for the Electra hardware which I bought from Exoticblanks. The usual process of finishing followed: 4 coats of thin CA and 12 coats of medium CA ... sanded 400 - 2000 ... and then micromeshed 2400 - 12000. Finally, 3 applications each of Novus 3 and Novus 2. The straight lines of the Electra design make for an unchallenging turning/finishing experience .... but I like that (!!!) and I like the result. Hope you do too. As usual, I apologize for my photography ... but I'm learning !

Cheers ..... and Good Luck !!!!

Mal

Attachments

• GoodLuckPen.jpg
    GoodLuckPen.jpg
    86.2 KB · Views: 320
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

randyrls

Mal; One of the things I do with dyed blanks is to use a Transtint liquid dye on the blank after sanding, but before applying CA. It REALLY makes the color POP!!!!

I apply a drop of the dye to a bit of paper towel and then rub onto the blank while turning the lathe by hand.

Do wear nitrile gloves, unless you want to be a true rainbow child!

I just made three Majestic Squire pens for a Chinese couple that run a Chinese restaurant. Their family and us have been friends for about 15 years!! They are retiring and closing the restaurant.:frown::frown::frown:

Now my wife and I have to find somewhere else to get good Chinese food.

Do you have problems with the inlay?? That is the part I hate most or like least...

magpens

Randy, thank you very much for that tip. I thought of redying by immersion, but didn't want to have to wait for drying. Your suggestion is a better way to go.

I don't mind doing the inlay but would like a darker black epoxy. Maybe I could mix in some black chalk dust (construction line marker).

When you really crave a very good Chinese meal, hop over here. Vancouver B.C. has the next biggest Chinatown after Frisco !

SDB777

Your neighbor should be pressed with their new gift!

And everyone is right, the color works well with that kit!!!

Scott (very cool) B

Top Bottom