Goncalo Alves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mark james

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Nothing especially noteworthy - just a nice grain. Had fun making it last night.
IMG_1378.jpg
IMG_1380.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Wait a minute Mark! I just did one of these pens in Aluminium and Walnut and your pen sure looks a lot like mine. Nice pen and I really like the feel of it in the hand. Good balance without a bunch of weight.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
How does the EDC feel to the hand, Mark? I just got some and am going to make one this weekend.

Hi Brian. I have had a preference for the knurling on the "Knurl" kit for a few years. But when this kit (EDC) came out with the click mechanism it quickly became my favorite.

I very much like how it feels in the hand.

The style may not appeal to everyone, but my wife's work colleagues loved it - (chemists, engineers, lab rats, etc).

DrD

Very nice work Mark! Pen is understated and really, really nice; I have personal aversion to some of the "gaudy" stuff that's the rage today. Over half the pens I've turned and the vast majority of what I've sold have been charcoal black acrylic following the style of classic German writing instruments..

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I can't see the segmenting...

No, and that topic is now an open book for me. Much of my left eye is blurry due to eye floaters. I'm starting back slowly and evaluating how much I can do with essentially one eye. So some simple wood pens for now.

Curly

No, and that topic is now an open book for me. Much of my left eye is blurry due to eye floaters. I'm starting back slowly and evaluating how much I can do with essentially one eye. So some simple wood pens for now.

I have a few floaters in my eyes but thus far not increasing. Would think that with everything medicine can do they would have figured out a way to filter that stuff out. A dialysis of the eye if you will.

Good looking wood. Not so sure I like the Chrome finish with it though. I think it is a warm toned wood and would look better with a yellow metal.

pshrynk

The trouble with anything that pierces the capsule of the eye is that the gel like substance the is the interior of the eye will leak out. And for some bizarre reason, most people develop an allergy to the stuff, which then leads to the other eye being destroyed by the antibodies. So any procedures that would be aimed at doing anything with the stuff where the floaters are floating would then necessitate removing the punctured eye in order to protect the other one. Most doctors see that as a counter-productive course.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I have a few floaters in my eyes but thus far not increasing. Would think that with everything medicine can do they would have figured out a way to filter that stuff out. A dialysis of the eye if you will.

Good looking wood. Not so sure I like the Chrome finish with it though. I think it is a warm toned wood and would look better with a yellow metal.

I agree and may change it out. I am doing 10-15 for my Brother and bought a few of the multi-plating combos, so I can mix and match. I just need to stop wanting to "assemble." For the future 10-13 blanks, I need to leave them until they are all done, then match with the platings. Patience is not a strong virtue for me (but my wife thinks I'm trainable... Or used to!).

Eye floaters... I'm realizing that it is much more common than I ever knew.

The trouble with anything that pierces the capsule of the eye is that the gel like substance the is the interior of the eye will leak out. And for some bizarre reason, most people develop an allergy to the stuff, which then leads to the other eye being destroyed by the antibodies. So any procedures that would be aimed at doing anything with the stuff where the floaters are floating would then necessitate removing the punctured eye in order to protect the other one. Most doctors see that as a counter-productive course.

My Brother had a Partially Detached Retina about 9 months ago. He is 18 months older than I (I am 60). After the surgery he had continued problems and was told (Cleveland Clinic Cole Eye Clinic), that the surgery caused his emerging cataracts to rapidly progress. He had double cataract surgery (two weeks apart). His vision is markedly worse, but he did not lose his vision in the eye with the partially detached retina.

I have the clouding, floaters, flashing lights in my left eye. The MD (2 weeks ago) said there was no retina tear "as yet." He did say... "Keep my number handy, as you have all symptoms for an impending detached retina." Cool.

Thanks for the info pshrynk! It is appreciated.

pshrynk

My pal in ophthalmology told me yesterday the they are doing laser surgery for floaters now. It's sorta bleeding edge tech, so big places like Mayo and Cleveland Clinic might have it fairly exclusively for the time being.

robutacion

Hi Mark,
Can they do something about your eye and "clean" it up...?

I hope that eye improves sooner rather than later, my friend, that is s bummer...!

Cheers
George

shimniok

My pal in ophthalmology told me yesterday the they are doing laser surgery for floaters now. It's sorta bleeding edge tech, so big places like Mayo and Cleveland Clinic might have it fairly exclusively for the time being.
I'll be keeping my eyes on that tech. Mine started when I was in college it's only gotten worse. Sorry to hear of anyone with eye trouble. :(

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Hi Mark,
Can they do something about your eye and "clean" it up...?

I hope that eye improves sooner rather than later, my friend, that is s bummer...!

Cheers
George

My MD did not indicate any procedures. But as the above comments are suggesting, there may some options. I'll be investigating these comments.

I guess I should count my blessings. I'm blind as a bat without my specs but that's about it. I recently had an old friend with a detached retina and after hearing what he went through after the surgery I hope I never have to go through it myself. Hope things clear up and you don't have any further complications and any issues in the future are easily fixed.

robutacion

My MD did not indicate any procedures. But as the above comments are suggesting, there may some options. I'll be investigating these comments.
Mark,
Not that I know much about that condition, my observation was based on the fact that in our days there ain't much they can't do, they are coming up with new stuff all of the time some of which is resolving issues that people suffered for years so, I hope that there is something that can be done to "correct" that eye of yours.

Cheers
George

Top Bottom