Gold George with... more gold.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from sorcerertd

sorcerertd

Jr. George in gold Ti with an antique gold Rhino blank. Polished through the 6 Zona grits, then the last 3 micromesh pads, finished off with some Meguire's plastic polish. I like the Jr. George kit for it's minimalistic hardware. This blank had some bubbles in it. I put a couple layers of thin GluBoost on the main barrel to fill them in there, but it didn't help and I just polished the CA off. They aren't really that noticeable anyway. I was pretty happy that I got the finial lined up so the least shimmery angle is the same as the least shimmery side of the pen. Is that too OCD?

open.jpg

open1.jpg open3.jpg closed.jpg closed1.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Beautiful pen, Todd! What a perfect blank!

Love the photography setup as well...as always. ;)

I had a thought on the sanding as well... You mentioned the 6 zona grits, then the final 3 micromesh... The finest grit Zona is 1 micron. The final three micromesh are about 4, 3, and 2 microns. Wouldn't the Zona paper alone get you to the finest, smoothest polish?

sorcerertd

I had a thought on the sanding as well... You mentioned the 6 zona grits, then the final 3 micromesh... The finest grit Zona is 1 micron. The final three micromesh are about 4, 3, and 2 microns. Wouldn't the Zona paper alone get you to the finest, smoothest polish?
Hmm, thanks for pointing it out. It does appear that the Zona is more like 14,000 while the MM is 12,000. Truthfully, I don't notice much difference in the finished product. Generally, I have been using the Zona over the MM lately. Now I'm wondering what grits the various plastic polishes are equivalent to.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Awesome pen and a superb job with the finial. Turning custom finials whenever possible is IMO one of the classiest elements you can modify. Well done, and thanks for sharing. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘

sorcerertd

Awesome pen and a superb job with the finial. Turning custom finials whenever possible is IMO one of the classiest elements you can modify. Well done, and thanks for sharing. πŸ‘ πŸ‘ πŸ‘
Thanks, Mark. The custom finials really do take them to the next level. I have done 3 or 4 of them and am getting more comfortable with it. Maybe one of these days I will try some textured ones. Have read about "chatter" as a method of texturing.

jrista

Hmm, thanks for pointing it out. It does appear that the Zona is more like 14,000 while the MM is 12,000. Truthfully, I don't notice much difference in the finished product. Generally, I have been using the Zona over the MM lately. Now I'm wondering what grits the various plastic polishes are equivalent to.
Yeah, I have moved pretty much exclusively to Zona these days. It just seems to handle better than MM as well. I still have a full set of MM sheets (the little 3x6 or whatever they are, the ones with different shades of gray rather than the colors), so I'll have to use them up at some point. The Zona is just so nice, and I know I get that 1 micron grit at the end.

Regarding polishes. I've been researching this for a while, and it seems that polish and buffing compound "grits" are pretty tightly protected trade secrets most of the time. I don't know why. I've found various posts on various forums (including this one, actually) that indicate that polishing compounds can range from around 6000-8000 normal sandpaper grit, to as high as 30k-60k grits. I've read that the "Green" buffing compound is around 0.5 to 0.1 microns, and others can be much finer than that. Some of the materials used are also friable, so they will break down as they are polishing into finer, but still just as effective, grits...giving you a finer and finer polish.

I've finally finished off some of my other plastic polish compounds, and am now using Meguiars. I have two, one is just their standard "Plastic Polish", the other is an ultra fine Mirror Glaze polish. I may need to pick up some more, as the ultra fine I have is what they call a "light cut", and they have some stuff that is more of a "medium cut" and some stuff that is a "heavy cut". They just rate their cuts on a 1-10 scale, so I honestly have no idea what grits they are. The ultra fine works, but, it does take some work after I've sanded with Zona to 1 micron, before I get a truly scratch-free glossy glass-like shine. I do get there, and wow, this stuff works SO much better than any other polishing compound I have used so far. I think with maybe even just the medium cut stuff, it will make the polishing process much faster and get me to that perfect shine much more quickly. If you haven't tried Meguiars yet, I highly recommend you give it a try. I suspect that the heavy cuts are in the 6-8k grit range, the medium cut is maybe in the 15-20k range, and the light cut might be up there around 30k I suspect. I have no clue what the plastic polish is...but, on some materials, it seems to do a better job than the mirror glaze.

sorcerertd

@jrista, this is what I'm using, just because I had it sitting around from buffing out a motorcycle windshield quite a while back. For all I know, it might be more coarse than the zona. I don't usually use much pressure with it, though.

I had another member recommend Rejex wax as a finishing touch, but said it can make them pretty darned slippery.

Mortalis

Ha, geez!
I had to go back to the pictures for that.
It never ceases to amaze me that just that small detail can change the finished pen sooo much.
πŸ‘

Top Bottom