Gold Crushed Velvet Kitless Rollerball

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenHog

PenHog

Another flush pen made for a friend's birthday. I didn't have a refill in it when I took the photos, but everything fit fine. This is probably my last rollerball for awhile, since I'm busy exploring fountain pens.

Materials:

Vintage gold crushed velvet from Vince at The Turners Workshop

Clip from A Turners Warehouse

Nose cone from Richard Greenwald

Attachments

• p1.jpg
    p1.jpg
    140.4 KB · Views: 257
  • p2.jpg
    p2.jpg
    173.5 KB · Views: 266
  • p3.jpg
    p3.jpg
    186.4 KB · Views: 244
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

Very nicely done !!!

Just a small point ... is the nose cone removable or is it glued in ?

PenHog

Thanks, Mal!

It is glued in. I found that rough sanding on the inside + epoxy seems to work, at least so far. My wife has been using hers for almost 1 year, and no problems yet.

If there were threaded, gold nose cones, I'd buy some, but I couldn't find any.

magpens

Thanks. . Yeah, a threaded nose cone could be hard to come by ... you'd have to pirate it from a kit (which would render the kit useless).

I happen to be working with a gold kit now that has a threaded nose cone. . It is the Capstone kit from ... www.penblanks.ca ... but they don't ship outside of Canada. . It is not available from any other source, as far as I know. . This cone has a rear stub with male thread, which is what you'd want.
The O.D. of this cone is 12.3 mm (0.485") which might work, or it could be a little too large for your application. . The threads are 8 x 0.75 mm. - just measured.

BTW, when you say "flush" in your description above, are you referring to the outer diameter of the pen being uniform along it's length when the cap is screwed on to the body ?

Last edited:

1shootist

That is a very attractive pen !
Not sure why but thats the description that immediately popped in my mind ., regardless,..it looks great, well done !

I have some crushed velvet but have yet to turn any of it. Did threading it have any issues ? Can I ask what tap/die you used for cap to barrel connection.

Thank you.

PenHog

Thanks. . Yeah, a threaded nose cone could be hard to come by ... you'd have to pirate it from a kit (which would render the kit useless).

I happen to be working with a gold kit now that has a threaded nose cone. . It is the Capstone kit from ... www.penblanks.ca ... but they don't ship outside of Canada. . It is not available from any other source, as far as I know. . This cone has a rear stub with male thread, which is what you'd want.
The O.D. of this cone is 12.3 mm (0.485") which might work, or it could be a little too large for your application. . The threads are 8 x 0.75 mm. - just measured.

BTW, when you say "flush" in your description above, are you referring to the outer diameter of the pen being uniform along it's length when the cap is screwed on to the body ?

Hi Mal,

Looks like a nice kit. Whenever you finish your pen, I hope you'll post a photo, I'd be interested in seeing it. Those nose cones do sound larger than the ones I've used.

Re "flush, yes, that's what I mean. I'm not sure what the right terminology is. I must have picked it up from somewhere online...

PenHog

That is a very attractive pen !
Not sure why but thats the description that immediately popped in my mind ., regardless,..it looks great, well done !

I have some crushed velvet but have yet to turn any of it. Did threading it have any issues ? Can I ask what tap/die you used for cap to barrel connection.

Thank you.

Thanks, Russ! Re threading, I didn't have any problems. I've been using a 1/2-24 tap and die that I got from a discount store online. I don't think it's ideal, but I've come to like it because I can get away with very few threads (and I actually like the larger threads). I should try the triple lead stuff, but then I need to make new mandrels and I'm lazy...

1shootist

Thanks, Russ! Re threading, I didn't have any problems. I've been using a 1/2-24 tap and die that I got from a discount store online. I don't think it's ideal, but I've come to like it because I can get away with very few threads (and I actually like the larger threads). I should try the triple lead stuff, but then I need to make new mandrels and I'm lazy...
I made some of my kitless using 1/2 x 24 , now I've added M13 x 1 and M12 x .75.....I think each has it's place.
I can't see myself going to thriple dies mainly for their cost but other negatives it would bring imo.

Look forward to seeing your next one !

Top Bottom