Going to be a busy weekend...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tiggere

So all my stuff to start making pens is here (except the finish)...I got ten kits and have all the blanks cut and drilled...will epoxy the tubes in the morning and start turning tomorrow evening...I chose a variety of blanks so I had different looks...

I got the BSI 30 minute epoxy since I am doing a large batch and I have some bottle stoppers that need a little...I figured the open time would come in handy...

Attachments

• Blanks.jpg
    Blanks.jpg
    356.8 KB · Views: 156
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

tiggere

Finish is going to be a couple things...I want to use some Doctors Woodshop products on a couple (still have to get that somewhere), and Gluboost on the rest...I really like the natural wood look but know I have to try a few different things to find what I like...

P.S. Epoxy is some messy crap...BSI 30 minute open time only is 30 minutes if you don't mix it in a small plastic pill cup...if I mixed it on a paperbag I had enough time to do 4 or 5 sets of blanks...in the pill cup I got 2 sets done before it started to kick...

howsitwork

i use the slow setting stuff and leave it overnight to cure so I have lots of open time to work with. I have had the 5 minute epoxy start to soften after several years ( when model radio controlled aircraft making ) so I prefer and trust the 24 hour araldite.
I found if you mix it on the lid from a pringles tube it's easier to mix thoroughly.

tiggere

Well here is the first one done...this is Juniper with a Satin Nickel Euro kit...the finish is 2 coats of Waterlox and a top coat of paste wax...I absolutely love the finish...it is butter smooth, super matte, and really lets the natural beauty of the wood take center stage...

The mandrel that I got is not perfect and there is a slight OOR issue...I did try to rotate the blank a 1/4 turn every so often to minimize it as best I could...I did take Mark James advice and only turn one section at a time...

Attachments

• Juniper.jpg
    Juniper.jpg
    103.7 KB · Views: 89
Top Bottom