Goblet and lidded box

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Cwalker935

Cwalker935

Goblet with cross and lidded box. I am not entirely happy with my design of these two pieces. The cross is too thick and lines not clean. Maybe too ambitious since its my first goblet. Not sure what is missing on the box, just not pleasing to my eye.

image.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Charlie_W

Cody,
Great that you attempted and came through with a finished product! Many of our ideas go through a process of refinement and new ideas that pop up after it is too late to incorporate them into the current piece.

On the box, I would make a lid that is more flat and a finial handle for the lid. Perhaps the same material as the box. I would not add a third material to the mix. Maybe next time, a small recess for the lid to drop down into.

Just my $.02

magpens

I actually like both pieces ! I don't think the cross is too thick at all . And the shape of the lidded box I find quite appropriate for its size.

SteveG

Cody,
I think you are on track for making some fine future turnings of the type shown here. I have a small but growing supply of turning stock, getting ready to unleash my own attempts at mini-hollow form turnings. I will suggest you study the shapes of turnings by some accomplished turners, like those of George Watkins, who posts here fairy regularly. Very small details seem to make or break the appeal with this type of turning. With your lidded box, I think you are at a very good starting point, so let us see your next effort and note your progress!:)

Cody,
I've done a few of the goblets... not tried to do a cross on them yet... yours looks fine to me...

On the box, in my opinion which is worth what you're paying for it, I think the lid comes off as an after thought. I think I agree with Charlie W.... a recess in the opening where the lid fits down into and the lines continue over the edge to the lid... maybe a slightly smaller finial. The change in the wood is okay, but think I would rather have seen a continuation of the same wood in the lid.

All that aside, both pieces are attractive and will appeal to a number of folks.

Top Bottom