Gluing tubes.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

In the past I've always used thick CA to glue tubes in my blanks. Due to not ordering any soon enough a ran out so decided to use Gorilla Glue. I keep ending up with ends like this. I'm filling them up with thin CA. I'm wondering if these are just voids caused by bubbles that happen to be right at the end of the blank or does it go throughout the blank?
Anyone else using polyurethane glue ever notice this or am I worrying about nothing?

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mick

In the past I've always used thick CA to glue tubes in my blanks. Due to not ordering any soon enough a ran out so decided to use Gorilla Glue. I keep ending up with ends like this. I'm filling them up with thin CA. I'm wondering if these are just voids caused by bubbles that happen to be right at the end of the blank or does it go throughout the blank?
Anyone else using polyurethane glue ever notice this or am I worrying about nothing?

Forgot the picture! [emoji17]
6a54e3f65b84198f8e2b93c00e54ef62.jpg

magpens

Sorry ... started a comment before realizing it was to do with a different thread. . I have never used Gorilla, so can't help on this one.
(Once you have saved your post, it seems that you cannot delete it completely, so I had to say something !)

jttheclockman

The things with photos sometimes they over exaggerate the in person look. But to me no problem. Ever square cm does not need glue.

1080Wayne

That does look a bit excessive . Did you put glue in each end of the blank before inserting the glued tube ? I could see that happening if you were just depending on the tube pushing glue through the hole . I would also give the blank a quick dip in water before beginning the gluing process .

Okay to fill the holes with CA .

pshrynk

I always slide the tube in part way and twist it about on both ends before pushing it all the way in. And wetting the blank it an important part too. I just spray some water from my drill bit sprayer so that I don't get wood expansion too much.

wouldentu2?

I spray the inside of the tube with water, put some glue around the inside edge of the blamk, put some glue around the end of the tube I'm inserting and had use Play-Doh to fill the tube end so it pushes some glue ahead of it. There should be foam oozing out each end when cured. It's not as strong as epoxy but sure is sticky and strong enough for these applications

Bryguy

I use a Qtip to spread the glue inside the blank at both ends. I put the tubes in water and then glue them too and stuff them into the blank, while often have excess glue come out of the blank ends I can trim it off with a craft knife.

Mortalis

I do not like using CA cause I would inevitably be left with the tube not seated all the way in the blank and the glue would set. I really prefer to use two part 5 minute epoxy. I've never had gaps since switching. I spread epoxy in the tube, both ends to the middle of the blank and then I apply it to the tube. I stopper up one end and insert that end.

Top Bottom