Gluing Tubes

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

kooster

I've seen advice on sealing tubes prior to gluing to prevent the glue from entering the tube. NuB ? . . . do you seal both ends while holding the tube & applying the glue or slide the tube onto an insertion tool & seal only the opposite end? If so, does the open end remain open??? Sounds like finger protection is in order???
I would intend on using the dental wax that was suggested.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bradh

Some people use the dental wax or modeling clay, others use potatoes to seal the ends.
I just let the glue get in and remove it with a small knife after it dries. It comes out very easy, takes only a few seconds to clean out the end.

Lenny

I used play-dough until it was gone and then switched to plumbers putty .... Just because I was more comfortable buying plumbers putty! :biggrin:

Five minute epoxy is my preferred glue and an old CA glue bottle cap makes a good insertion tool. :)

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator
An advantage to plugging the end of the tube is that it will force the glue to spread on the tube and not take "the path of least resistance" into the inside of the tube.
I myself am cheap. I have a small metal pan I melt old candles into (cheaper than dental wax) and when I get ready to mill the end of the blank, I punch the wax out over the bowl and remelt for resuse.

StephenM

I rob the kids Play-doh from time to time. Just grab a hunk, get it flat (1/4" or so) and put the tube in like you're making cookies. Then I just hold the tube by either end and roll it in the epoxy. I also use a toothpick to put a little epoxy in opposite end of the end I slide the tube in. Insert the tube while giving it a slight twist and seat it where you want it to dry. The pen mill cleans out the Play-doh while I'm squaring the ends.

Lenny

Do you not worry about getting wax or other materials on the outside of the tube and hurting the glue adhesion at the ends?

I stick the pen into the play dough or plumbers putty THEN sand it lightly before rolling it in the glue. Any residue of plugging material is cleaned off that way.

RetiredJake

Do you not worry about getting wax or other materials on the outside of the tube and hurting the glue adhesion at the ends?

I sand before plugging the ends with dental wax. Then I clean the ends (whole tube really) with DNA prior to gluing.

Jake

Rokon15

When I am using Gorilla glue I drip several drops around the board I do the gluing on. Later I peel these off, stick them in tubes (one per tube), then pack them with a wooden dowel. They seal well, and pop out easily with a dowel or punch. The one hour Gorilla works best for this. I also moisten the board so the glue expands well. I use the plugs for all glues. There is no residue left behind once you get the hang of it.

Joe Burns

I seal both ends of the tube with plumbers putty. I use 5 minute epoxy for gluing in the blanks. Don't forget to lightly sand the outside of the tubes before gluing them.

Joe

kooster

Does one plug both ends and insert the tube plugged tube by hand (twisting/turning) or simply one end and use an insertion tool of sorts OR is it basically a personal preference as long as the glue is spread evenly ???

kooster

I'm still trying to determine IF I plug both ends and insert the tube by hand OR
plug one end and use an insertion tool? Is this a personal pereference?

seamus7227

Use a latex glove, plug both ends and insert the tube using a twisting motion in and out on one side, then rotate to the other side of the blank using the same motion, this should give you an even coating of glue within the hole. Once you have pushed the tube in as far as your finger can push, use a popsicle stick or other device to push the tube further in.

Sent from my Epic using Forum Runner

StephenM

Your tube shouldn't have that much further to go once you push it in flush with one end. You can use an old tube of the same size, a nail, or anything else that will push just the tube (don't push the sealer) in as far as you want it to go.

azamiryou

I'm still trying to determine IF I plug both ends and insert the tube by hand OR
plug one end and use an insertion tool? Is this a personal pereference?

Try it both ways and see what you like best.

I plug one end and push it in by hand (with gloves), and keep an insertion tool handy in case its position needs a little adjustment and my fingers can't manage it. I generally use Gorilla Glue, so working time is not an issue.

Glue is pretty easy to remove from inside the tubes anyway, but the sealed end does make it easier. I think the main advantage is that the sealed end keeps the glue on the outside of the tube where it can do its job, rather than the tube just "scooping" up the glue so the joint is starved.

kooster

I believe it's glue into the tube. By plugging the ends basically 2 things occur. The tube's interior remains clean and it saves time having to clean/ream out any dried residue. And, it provides a seal around the gap on the ends where tube & blank meet.
I've seen it suggested that CA be placed at this junction if you don't plug the ends.
I typically use a small wire brush (gun barrel cleaning type) on the inside of my tubes to make absolutely certain they're clean/smooth. Also, I use that bevel device from Arizona Silhouette for the ends prior to assembly.

Top Bottom