Gluing transparent blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

brailsmt

I'm trying to perfect gluing my tubes in by working with transparent acrylic blanks. I'm using 30 minute epoxy, but it seems that nothing I do gets a perfect look. There all always spots where the glue doesn't fill up all the space between tube and blank. I've spent minutes per tube trying to spread the epoxy evenly, but still didn't succeed and it looked not much better than the first quick ones I did with CA glue. Is it even possible, or am I wasting my time? Any tips on how to get this perfect so it doesn't ruin the look of the pen? Should I just embrace the imperfections?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

More4dan

Describe your glueing procedure in a bit more detail. I like where your going to test what works.

I typically use medium CA. I coat the blank about half way from one end with CA. I then coat the tube about 3/4 its length and insert from the opposite end of the blank. My thinking is as the glue gets wiped off it will meet up with the glue on the blank from the other side giving me better coverage. I've not had a blow out since doing this. I do plug the tube with modeling clay.

Painting the blank with spray paint from both ends seems to work best for me to completely cover the blank. I then mount the blank in the lathe chuck and spin at max rpm to create a smooth even coat inside the blank. I let it dry overnight before glueing. This works best for me. On very clear blanks I will sand the hole to remove some of the drilling grooves that can show even with painting.

Danny

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Last edited:

jttheclockman

First have to ask are you deliberately trying to have the blank transparent??? If so then you must consider doing a kitless pen that uses no tube. You then need to polish the inside of the blank to remove the drill marks and go from there.

If not and you are using transparent blanks and looking for a certain color inside (clear with touch of color type blanks) then you again need to polish the inside of the blank after drilling to get rid of drill marks. Then you need to paint the TUBE and not the blank the color you are after. You are best to tint the epoxy as well as CA the color you painted the tube. You need to spread glue as even as possible to try to get no clumps.

Third and I bet this is what you are doing, you are using transparent blanks and just do not want tubes to show. Then you need to pick a color close to the blanks main color and paint just the inside of the blank which is called reverse painting. I would sand the inside of the blank some to get rid of drill marks again. Roll a piece of sand paper around a round object like a dowel and sand inside. I would also use a tint of same color in epoxy. No need to paint the tube. Just be careful inserting tube in hole to try to not scratch inside too much. You may find you need to drill the hole a tad larger because of layer of paint. I like to spray paint because it leaves a smoother and less thick layer inside blank. This all should help you in your quest. Good luck.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Here are two links that may help with what you are dealing with:

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f19/seeing-believing-reverse-painting-151785/

http://www.penturners.org/forum/f14/painting-tubes-vs-blanks-152461/#post1959325

Also, on gluing, the only way to get consistent uniform gluing all the time for your purpose is with polyurethane glue that expands as it cures. But it causes its own minor problems - as it expands, it can and does push the tube partially out of the blank. Plus the poly glue takes 12 hours or so to set up.

But, instead of looking for uniform gluing, look at reverse painting.

Last edited:

TonyL

If so then you must consider doing a kitless pen that uses no tube.

Agree ^

Also, even if you paint everything, be mindful of the "rifling" marks made by the drill.
Some are able to sand/polish then out without changing the inside diameter of the barrel --- I am NOT that skilled.

Following!

rholiday

I don't believe it is possible to always get a total and complete glue coverage when inserting a tube into a blank. As leehljp mentioned, expanding glue will fill gaps.
If I'm concerned on transparency being an issue, I use white painted tubes, paint the inside of the tube white, and just for good measure, tint the epoxy with a touch of white. Overkill, but effective. :biggrin:

brailsmt

I don't believe it is possible to always get a total and complete glue coverage when inserting a tube into a blank. As leehljp mentioned, expanding glue will fill gaps.
If I'm concerned on transparency being an issue, I use white painted tubes, paint the inside of the tube white, and just for good measure, tint the epoxy with a touch of white. Overkill, but effective. :biggrin:

I've been leaning this way for awhile now. I'll keep trying, though. Honestly though, this will probably be how I get into kitless. :)

Pierre---

For me, it is hard to believe that a bubble trapped in the glue will disappear. I thought it would just push the glue out. Are you positive about fillings gaps?

Top Bottom