Gluing squares for blanks

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I cut a bunch of thin squares from 1/4 inch plywood and red oak strips from stair treads. Both are for a home project in the works. Squares are about 1 x 1 and need to get advice on gluing them together. I will alternate grain, mixing them or using all the same for blanks. I have Titebond III and Two Ton epoxy. What do you recommend? Alternate glue? Have Lowe's and Ace Hardware locally. Woodcraft is about 45 minutes away. Thanks. Will post some photos later for WIP. If you say Woodcraft, that will be an excuse to go there. "Yes, dear. The experts say that XXX glue is the best for this project. You can go next door to Ollie's Bargain Outlet. Then I''ll take you to lunch at Chik-Fil-A or IHOP." Am I considerate or what?šŸ˜Œ

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
I heard that Woodcraft has a very special type of epoxy just for this application. I think it might be referred to as two ton epoxy (didn't you mention that?). Personally I think you should run down to Woodcraft, with your wife in tow, and be sure to ask the counter person. Expert advice is always a big help when tackling something like this. Enjoy your lunch!

Woodchipper

I have Two Ton epoxy from other things. The sad thing is I get it at the local Ace Hardware store.:( If they are out of stock, I would be forced to go to Woodcraft and then lunch with the wife.šŸ˜
Had the scales break on an old knife. I cut a couple pieces of 2x4, sanded and glued them on with TTE. That was more years than I care to remember.

Buckmark13

I'd go to Woodcraft.

However, I wouldn't bring my wife as it may take them quite a while to really educate me on the full selection of products they have.

For a project as complicated as yours, you certainly don't want to take any chances.

You can always bring Chick-fil-a home once you've done all of your research!

jttheclockman

You can do what you want about the trip but to matter at hand wood to wood Titebond II is all I use. Now if you are looking for more open time you may have to resort to an epoxy. I like to put glue on both glue surfaces because it gets absorbed in to both. I then move around and pull apart getting air pockets in there and then clamp. Now if making a pen blank you may want to use a piece of angle with some wax paper on it to keep things in line and straight and easier to clamp. Have all clamps ready to go and planned out and you can glue up quite a few in a couple minutes. End grain joints will be the weakest but again depending what you are using for you may not need super strong holding power. Pen blanks there is no stress after it is turned.

Kenny Durrant

As far as your first question goes. I've used epoxy, C.A. and wood glue for segmenting. As far as holding the material I didn't see a big difference other than wait time to start working on the pen. The one thing I have noticed with all glue is that they can't stand a lot of heat. So I'd say pick the glue that works best for Your needs and drill and sand slow not to build up a lot of heat and have it come apart. As far as your wife. If it were me I'd take her with me do to the long drive that way she won't feel you've abandoned her for the day but let the sales staff know someone needs to keep her busy while you do your research and shop, I mean look around. That way you won't have to try to justify why you need a new tool or something similar to what you already have. Do the best you can to make it a pleasant trip with your wife but it's also a business trip!

Woodchipper

Gentlemen, once upon a time, my wife went to Ollie's in the shopping mall and then came to WC. She picked out about $100 worth of kits and blanks on sale. She even picked out some Spectraply even though I haven't made anything with that...yet. I have lots of TBIII and TTE. Kenny, thanks for the reminder on drilling and sanding- go sloooow. Got a lot going this week so it might be next week before I get to glue up the pieces. I thought about Slimline kits but those are very thin finished blanks as we know. Have some kits that take a one piece blank that is much thicker than the SL. Will keep you posted on the WIP and finished pens. Thanks to all!
John T., that is basically how I glued cork rings for fishing rods. Won't be gluing end grain.

Don Rabchenuk

As others have said, titebond III works great with wood and I did not see any other materials mentioned so there is no reason for another glue.

FrankH

When I take my wife to Woodcraft, she buys more good pen stuff than I do. Of course when we get home I have to make the pens for her. Life is tough.

Top Bottom