Glueing Lignum Vitae

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

BarryK

I've been given a small piece of lignum vitae, which I want to make into a pen.

I know that the oil content of the wood makes glueing a challenge. Lee Valley sells the Excel One polyurethane glue. Would this be an appropriate choice for glueing in the tubes?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ilikewood

I've made many pens out of Lignum Vitae and have always used a quick setting epoxy. I haven't had any problems with it yet. I haven't tried poly yet, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

Once the pen is assembled, the glue is not a critical item. The main stress comes while turning the blanks. If you can make it through that stage, it should last a long time.

DCBluesman

Passed Away Mar 3, 2016
In Memoriam
To be on the safe side, swab the interior of the blank with rubbing alcohol, wait 60 seconds, then swab with water and go ahead with the poly. I use this process for cocobolo, another oily wood, and it works great...plus it only adds a minute to your setup time.

jwoodwright

Did you know it was used as the Final Bearing on Nuclear Subs, on the propellar shaft. It sealed out the Sea. Just recently replaced by Spaceage Material. Was also used on Boomers, the true bad boys with the ICBMs... You know how quiet they are...[8D]

ilikewood

I get my Lignum Vitae from a company that still uses it for bushings on huge shafts. Nothing else works right, so they machine it into bushings on these great BIG lathes. The ends that are checked and they cannot use I acquire when I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom