Glue Up For A RM Bowl

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from W.Y.

W.Y.

I often get requests to show the glue up of my bowls but it is usually after the bowl is all made and finished and too late to show how it started out.

So this time I glued up some short 8" pieces of wood that were accumulating as cut offs and remembered to take a photo .

If I get time tomorrow between yard work and the coffee shop of course . .lol . . . I will cut it into rings and see what it looks like as a bowl .

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

W.Y.

Woke up to rain this morning so no outside work.

Decided to finish off this little 8" diameter bowl from the blank shown. It is actually only one of about three ways the rings could have been glued up to show a totally different pattern . Sometimes I will make the blank two or three times longer and cut it into two or three squares and glue them up in different arrangements . The possibilities of glue ups and ring arrangements are endless.

Sorry , the purpleheart between the maple strips did not show up true to color. These bowls always look so much nicer in the hand than in a picture .

W.Y.

Couple questions. what is the hole in the bottom for? and how did you go about cutting the board?

The board was made of strips of wood cut on the table saw and glued together .
The board is then cut into rings on an angle using the Ringmaster .
Lots of discussions by other Ringmaster owners and myself on the dedicated 'Ringmaster Lathe Turning' board on my Woodworking Friends discussion board site
The 1/2" hole in the bottom is required to mount the blank on the Ringmaster . A plug of either the same color wood or a contrasting color fills the hole . A solid bottom without a hole can be done but requires extra steps and time but that has to reflect on the selling price. I have never had a complaint or lost a sale because of plugs in the bottom and have made 150 bowls from boards now and working on my pre Christmas sales inventory because I don't have many of my original ones left . Will be making at least 50 more between now and then. I have two more glued up and ready to cut out as I am typing this.

Top Bottom