Glue issue

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

Buy the smallest bottle of Original Gorilla Glue. You can find it everywhere - Walmart, Home Depot, etc.

One of the tiny bottles was good for about 50+ pens, and it lasted about a year before the flow texture was wrong and I replaced it. Polyurethane glue is messy and takes a day to cure, but it works for me and I like it.

Write the date of purchase and the date of opening on all your glue bottles. It is a pain, but it takes only a second, and you will be glad later.
Have a Lowe's gift card- bottle of original Gorilla glue and a 24 inch quality level. AlI have to do now is see if there are any gorillas around here that need gluing! Will go back and review a couple of posts on GG. Seems different in application than others. Will also try Two Ton epoxy when doing more than one pen. I have had good luck with TB CA and will use it in the future.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Woodchipper

I'm back and greatly appreciate everything given to help me! I'm going to look at penicillin's post #38 and work on it. It seems that there are many ways to accomplish the same thing as the situation dictates.
Along these lines, I drilled an exotic wood yesterday- quebracho which is hard as tool steel. I had to withdraw the 7 mm bit to let it cool and clean out the blank. When I got done, something similar to my dilemma was apparent. The entry hole was larger than the exit hole. It seems the bit reamed out the blank as I withdrew it. One thing I just now thought of- round the blank before drilling to make sure it's centered in the pen jaws! Live and learn. Has anyone learned it all yet?

MyDadsPens

Penicillian
I use cheap 5 minute epoxy from the double syringe for translucent plastics/acrylics. It works well, but is messy and expensive.

Why don't you use Gorilla for acrylics - I would think the Gorilla would stick to acrylic very well ?

I have used White Gorilla Glue, which is a polyurethane glue that dries white instead of yellow. It works equally well for pen tubes, but goes on more "runny" than original Gorilla Glue. It tends to flow and drip off the tube as you insert it, making more of a mess. Otherwise, it works as well as Original Gorilla Glue. It seems to harden and cure faster, but they still say 24 hours for a full cure.

Also
are there 2 types of white Gorilla ? I see people in this forum that say they use white Gorilla - BUT in the stores around me the only white Gorilla is in a round bottle and it is a wood glue - just like titebond or Elmers yellow - these wood glues are horrible on metal - I can ping dried wood glue off metal by flicking my finger

penicillin

I am sorry for the delay in answering. I dropped out of Penturners and did not notice your questions until a friend alerted me to them. I am here only to respond to your questions.

Why don't you use Gorilla for acrylics - I would think the Gorilla would stick to acrylic very well ?
I do use Gorilla Glue (original) for acrylics, and it sticks very well. Remember to wet the inside of the blank before inserting the tube with glue.

I do not use Gorilla Glue for translucent acrylics (plastic blanks) because it does not dry clear. I do not want the yellow color of the dried glue to show through the translucent blank. I paint the translucent blanks, tubes, or both an appropriate color befitting the blank, then use epoxy because it dries clear and works well.

Also are there 2 types of white Gorilla ? I see people in this forum that say they use white Gorilla - BUT in the stores around me the only white Gorilla is in a round bottle and it is a wood glue - just like titebond or Elmers yellow - these wood glues are horrible on metal - I can ping dried wood glue off metal by flicking my finger
The Gorilla company makes and sells many different kinds of glue. Unfortunately, Gorilla has a branding issue. It is both the name of their original product "Gorilla Glue" and the name of the company. (I once worked for a company whose name and product were the same, and it caused a lot of issues, so I feel their pain.)

Here are Gorilla brand products that I have discussed in the past:

Gorilla Glue (aka "Original Gorilla Glue") - This is a polyurethane glue that foams and dries yellow.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/original-gorilla-glue/
White Gorilla Glue - This is also a polyurethane glue that foams. It is runnier than Original Gorilla Glue, dries faster, and dries white.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/white-gorilla-glue/
Clear Gorilla Glue - This is a silane-based glue, different than other glues. It does not foam and it dries clear.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/clear-gorilla-glue/
Gorilla Wood Glue - This is a polyvinyl acetate (PVA) wood glue, similar to Titebond II. It is white colored wood glue, used for typical woodworking projects for gluing two pieces of wood together. You may have been thinking of this glue, which has nothing in common with any of the glues listed above. I do not recommend wood glue for pen tubes.
https://www.gorillatough.com/product/gorilla-wood-glue/
Gorilla makes many other glues for many uses.

P.S.
Q: What is the difference between "glue" and "adhesive"?
A: One can be used as a verb. The other cannot. :)

keithbyrd

As I read this - I have a question - just to make sure I understand - are the glues White Gorilla Glue and Clear Gorilla Glue good to use on pens?

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
For acrylic, drill a smaller hole.
For a "sierra-style":
I now use a "Z" bit first, test with tube, then 10.5mm if Z was too tight and 27/64" if the 10.5 is too tight. My tubes are now held firmly in the center and "blow ups" which are really "peel offs" have been eliminated.

MyDadsPens

in response to keith, I have only used the original gorilla for tubes in blanks and it works better than anything else i have tried -- to me white gorillia glue is only a wood glue (like titebond or elmers) so I would only use it for wood to wood. I have recently heard that Gorilla introduced a whit glue that is similar to their original glue BUT I have never seen it in my local stores (home depot, walmart, lowes) so I cant speak about it. I don't like the thought of online purchase of something like glue, they have original gorilla at a great price locally and my support of a brick, mortar store keeps someone employed. I try to only buy online specialty items that real stores wouldn't carry

Top Bottom