Gluboost

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

I use the regular GluBoost--it's not odorless, but not as obnoxious as most CA's are to me. And i know i shouldn't, but i rather like the smell of the GluBoost Accelerator. Just an interesting scent. But then again, i just love the smell of Thuya Burl in the morning!!
earl

NJturner

Not odorless, but significantly less than CA. I use both. If you go a little heavy with the accelerator, CA produces much heavier fumes. I use way less accelerator with GluBoost which may be why I feel it stinks much less.
I suggest a mask with either just because.

mg_dreyer

The finish is not odorless. I have found (and when asked I ask people to tell me once they used it to confirm) that is is significantly less odorful than other brand I have used. And I can say that over my close to 30 years of pen making I have actually used all brands. I do not have an issue with the odor and generally leave it in my shop with no cap on at all - easy storage.

I get mine here:

If you want a video on application here it is:
GluBoost YouTube Video

I will also be demoing the product at both the MPG in April (Chicago) and I am the pen demonstrator once again for the AAW this year in Chattanooga (June 2022).

If that is the extent of your question - hope that helps. Please reach out to me with any questions on the product or it's use. I have about 4 years of experience with it and clearly feel it is the easiest and most consistent finish on the market. It is also the only finish I know of that has a MasterTint component to it, allowing for custom colors while letting the beauty of the grain to come through (great differentiator) Let me know if you have any additional questions. If you have not used it - couple of quick tips. You will use a lot less. Only 4 - 5 coats and they should be light coats; and, only a spritz of accelerator to bond.

Mark

wouldentu2?

Bob Smith Industries makes an odorless version that I have used for ten years without anymore sinus problems. Never used Gluboost.

montmill

Thanks for the feedback. I was made aware of the odorless CA during a search here and didn't know it even existed before this. I wonder what the trade off is? I mean, wouldn't odorless be a big advantage?

I do use Gluboost and haven't had a problem but I have a dust extraction port right by my lathe and have fans on blowing any odor away from me. I also always wear a mask. I was just wondering if Gluboost was considered odorless.

Pen_man_ship

I switched from Stick Fast to Gluboost about a year ago for several reasons. The Stick Fast had an obnoxious smell so I always wore a mask and had a fan blowing. The Gluboost seemed to have no odor at all so I dispensed with the mask and fan. After a while I noticed a sore throat and difficulty breathing. This didn't alarm me, I thought it was many years of tobacco usage catching up with me (11 years tobacco free now). It got to the point where I finally went to the doctor with my complaint. A chest X-ray was ordered. Thankfully nothing showed up. Then the strangest thing happened. I took a two week break from making pens and I started to breathe better. It was pretty easy to connect the dots. Now I always use the mask and fan.....Lesson Learned! (the hard way)

KenB259

I always wear a respirator and just recently bough some safety glass that seal around my eyes. CA bothered my eyes more than anything else. The glasses seem to work.

jttheclockman

Thanks for the feedback. I was made aware of the odorless CA during a search here and didn't know it even existed before this. I wonder what the trade off is? I mean, wouldn't odorless be a big advantage?

I do use Gluboost and haven't had a problem but I have a dust extraction port right by my lathe and have fans on blowing any odor away from me. I also always wear a mask. I was just wondering if Gluboost was considered odorless.
Trade off is it is more expensive.

I never had a problem with CA for the 15+ years I have been using it for pens. I always have the dust collector running when applying and it draws the fumes in. I never stand over the pen for any length of time after applied. Because I do not use accelerator. I let the lathe spin and naturally dry. I walk away and do something else. I just am never in a hurry to finish a pen. There is no deadlines in my shop. just the way I always worked. Yes maybe once or twice I had to get something done quickly but very rare.

sorcerertd

I read this in the description. If it is or isn't I just am not aware because I do not use it.

https://www.arizonasilhouette.com/product/BG252.html
Oh, hmm, they might want to update that in the description. I love the stuff, but it still smells like CA curing. While it is considerably more expensive, I find myself using less of it because it applies easier/smoother and takes less work to finish it. Technically, odorless is "less" odor, not no odor, right? And using less of it would make for even less. I don't know how they determine the "odorless" part, but I know if I get a nose full of it, it's just as unpleasant as other CAs I've tried.

As an aside, some of my old pens made with Stick Fast (because I didn't know any better) are crazing. Definitely going to keep using formulas labeled as flexible.

Top Bottom