Gluboost (ultrathin fill and finish)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

hooked

I just received a bottle of the new blue/green ultrathin Gluboost. I am curious if anyone is using it and how/why you would add this to the current popular blue below the orange application? Would the green go over the orange? Or would the green go below the other layers to sort of seal the surface before applying blue and orange?

Is anyone using the superthin as a standalone finish, particularly on alumilite?

Thanks!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Mark Dreyer and John Underhill have had the product for several months, doing field testing for GluBoost's owner.
I'm sure they will jump in--I don't want to misquote them!!!

JohnU

I really like this new product! It works great as a scratch filler, sealer and stand alone finish. I was asked to make a video of how I use it. Here's a link… Hope it helps.

hooked

Thank you, John! Exactly what I was looking for. I'm going to try it as suggested on alumilite.

jrista

I picked up a bottle of the Ultra Thin a couple of weeks or so ago. I've primarily used it as a deep filler and stabilizer so far, for which it works better than any other CA I've ever used. It really wicks in and penetrates deep, so it actually works really well as a stabilizer. Notably on pinecone resin blanks (or anything similar that might have punky, soft, brittle, etc. wood or other plant material encased in resin), it really helps to stabilize the pinecone (or whatever) and fill any voids. The ultra thin DOES work well as a thin coat finish on resins. I have tried it on both Total Boat and Alumilite. It helps fill any pits, which I get sometimes (have a small leak with my pressure pot that I need to fix), and produces a crystal clear smooth finish. Its a good test, too, to see how your finished blank might look like, how resin might look, what the chatoyance of the wood might look like, just as a test, before you fully finish.

I took a cue from John U when I purchased it to use it as a final finish coat to fill in any scratches, pits, etc. on any turned blank. So I generally do that. It looks like he demonstrates this in his video above. Its really amazing what you can do with an ultra thin water-like CA. It's pretty darn versatile stuff!

sorcerertd

I purchased some of this not long after it came on the market and am happy with the results. I use it primarily for spot stabilization and to wick into very small spaces. I have not attempted to use it as a finish, but am intrigued as I do always CA over Alumilite.

TonyL

I really like this new product! It works great as a scratch filler, sealer and stand alone finish. I was asked to make a video of how I use it. Here's a link… Hope it helps.

Thank you John. I have been using CA over everything for 2 years - so I am a fan. However, it doesn't look like the left side was ever buffed/polished. Was it?

JohnU

Thank you John. I have been using CA over everything for 2 years - so I am a fan. However, it doesn't look like the left side was ever buffed/polished. Was it?
Yes, I applied the finish to the right side and then micro meshed, and polished the entire blank to show the difference the fill and finish has on the final blank.

Top Bottom