GluBoost fumes/smell...breathing reactions?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jrista

Well, I seem to be having some trouble this winter with my normal finishes. I think its the cold...not the coldest we have, it just seems to be persistently in the teens in the evenings (which is mostly when I am able to turn). The Pens Plus and Craft Coat (which I've been experimenting with lately) seem to be having a much harder time going on and drying properly. I suspect its because the volatiles in them are not evaporating properly due to the cold. I keep the finishes in the house, and even warm them up a bit before I apply them, but the air is still in the 40s, and I just don't think they work as well at those temps.

I have Mercury Flex for CA...but, that stuff still has an odor, and the fumes still seem to negatively affect me (my lungs in particular). Not as bad as StickFast or TiteBond or StarBond. StickFast in particular is just vile for someone like me...can put me out of commission for days with near anaphylactic like symptoms, and can take a couple weeks to fully recover from it (I no longer have any of it in my house as a result). Mercury has been better, but I can still get lung issues and end up extremely stuffed up for a long time. I am now a persistent user of PPE due to my reaction to CA fumes, and ALWAYS have the organic acid/VOC filters on my face masks and the like...but, exposure still happens easily enough despite that, it seems (imperfect lock on the membranes for my 3M masks, backflow of air in my Sundstrom, sometimes when breathing in or something, I am not real sure.)

I'm wondering how GluBoost is in this area. Not sure how many other turners have the same kind of issues as I do with CA glues, I suspect I'm probably pegged at the "nearly deadly reaction" end of the spectrum. I've heard some people mention they have trouble breathing after using CA, and just wondering if that is better or worse with GluBoost than others?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

duncsuss

I have less trouble with GluBoost than Satellite and the normal Starbond, but it's not perfect.

For me, the absolute best glue (from the perspective of fumes) is Starbond Odorless, which I use for sealing cracks. I prefer GluBoost for finishing though, using a 3M Versaflo helmet with the intake behind my back makes it tolerable.

These days it's not just the fumes of CA curing that do it to me, but the accelerator seems to cause my sinuses to clog up too.

Dannv

I developed a major reaction to the hotstuff I was using. I am now playing with the BSI oderless and it seems to be OK. I keep it in the house where it's warm so I don't have issues with the glue itself being cold.

JohnU

I use Gluboost on all of my finishes now and haven't had any issues like I have in the past with others. The accelerator has an odor but I now place a vacuum hose behind the blank on the lathe and run it while spraying to pull everything away from me. I didn't have a hood or manufactured system so I just drilled a hole in a 1/2" scrap piece of plywood and put the vac hose through it while placing the bottom of the board through the lathe bed ways to hold it in place. Since I apply my finish with the lathe on, It's just enough to be out of the way from the blank while pulling the fumes away from me.
Nothing fancy…..

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    364.9 KB · Views: 87
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    464.9 KB · Views: 91
  • 416BF7D4-012D-4CEC-BE4F-DB0E94E798B7.jpeg
    416BF7D4-012D-4CEC-BE4F-DB0E94E798B7.jpeg
    547.8 KB · Views: 87

leehljp

Member Liaison
Yes, temperature greatly affects CA's of all kinds that we use commercially. Unless someone develops a low temp CA, it will continue to offer some curing difficulties below 70°. At approximately 70° curing begins to change somewhat and increases more as the temp gets lower. Lower temps also increases potential for clouding.

John's vac hose behind the blank works well. Many of us with (and without) allergies to CA fumes and sanding dust use the vacuum hose, AND many of us also use a respirator. Another help is a fan at the end of the lathe blowing over the blank to blow fumes away. I use that sometimes but always use the vac hose and respirator.

jrista

Yes, temperature greatly affects CA's of all kinds that we use commercially. Unless someone develops a low temp CA, it will continue to offer some curing difficulties below 70°. At approximately 70° curing begins to change somewhat and increases more as the temp gets lower. Lower temps also increases potential for clouding.

John's vac hose behind the blank works well. Many of us with (and without) allergies to CA fumes and sanding dust use the vacuum hose, AND many of us also use a respirator. Another help is a fan at the end of the lathe blowing over the blank to blow fumes away. I use that sometimes but always use the vac hose and respirator.
Hmm... Thanks for the info, Hank! I wasn't aware CA had temp-related curing issues as well.

I have a garage heater, and around this time of day and for a few hours, I can get it up into the 50s. But that is still well below 70. In the evenings when I'm usually turning during the week, the temps are getting low enough it can be hard to even reach 50. My garage is only partially finished, so I have a couple of walls that are not insulated. Something I hope to resolve at some point, but for now...

I'm going to be giving the Craft Coat more of a try today. Its in the 50s now, so maybe it will apply better than last night. It sounds like really interesting stuff, and I'm hoping I can get it to work reliably.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Hmm... Thanks for the info, Hank! I wasn't aware CA had temp-related curing issues as well.

I have a garage heater, and around this time of day and for a few hours, I can get it up into the 50s. But that is still well below 70. In the evenings when I'm usually turning during the week, the temps are getting low enough it can be hard to even reach 50. My garage is only partially finished, so I have a couple of walls that are not insulated. Something I hope to resolve at some point, but for now...

I'm going to be giving the Craft Coat more of a try today. Its in the 50s now, so maybe it will apply better than last night. It sounds like really interesting stuff, and I'm hoping I can get it to work reliably.
I know you like and appreciate conclusive data, and I do not have that. I will say from my observation derived from numerous experiences going back 17+ years - I learned early on the differences of CA solidifying/curing in different temperatures because my original shop was unheated, plus the difference between curing in the early to mid morning (8-10 AM) when the temp would be in the mid mid 50's to lower 60s - versus afternoon when the temps would be in the upper 70's or low 80's. I noticed a big difference in curing times and it was repeatable. I don't remember which brands of CA but I did have several brands. I was living (working) in Japan in a coastal city but made trips back to the States for a month each year, usually in the spring. With that said, I had a lathe in both places so I found the same results in the US as I did in Japan in similar temperature environments.

Again, it was not a scientific study, but repeatable results under the same conditions with different CAs. Since the first 2 to 3 years of pen turning, of course, I installed both heating and cooling in my workshops - so I do not now have to be concerned as much.

Last edited:

Mike

I am wondering if the dust and CA fumes have been affecting me. I have had some breathing issues lately, not life threatening but shortness of breath and coughing. I started wearing a dust mask. I have a ceiling fan in the shop I turn on in the summer and it moves the air really well. I haven't been using it since it is cooler. My garage is insulated and has insulated doors, so it stays between high 50s and mid 90s year round without heatin or cooling. I need to pick up a new CO detector so I can use my portable propane heater. I am going to find a small fan to put behind the lathe to pull the dust and fumes away. My vac is so loud it drowns out the music, so I don't use it.

jrista

I am wondering if the dust and CA fumes have been affecting me. I have had some breathing issues lately, not life threatening but shortness of breath and coughing. I started wearing a dust mask. I have a ceiling fan in the shop I turn on in the summer and it moves the air really well. I haven't been using it since it is cooler. My garage is insulated and has insulated doors, so it stays between high 50s and mid 90s year round without heatin or cooling. I need to pick up a new CO detector so I can use my portable propane heater. I am going to find a small fan to put behind the lathe to pull the dust and fumes away. My vac is so loud it drowns out the music, so I don't use it.

It took me a while to realize it was the CA. I have a bit of an allergy to wood dust that stuffs up my nose pretty good, but when it comes to breathing problems, I learned its definitely the CA. I ended up learning this after I'd taken a good break from turning, then did some work with CA to seal an inlay in a piece I'd turned over a month before. I was wearing my respirator, and had a window open, but I used a LOT of CA, so the fumes were pretty thick nevertheless. I took of the respirator before fully exiting the room at one point, and within about 8 hours I was having a SEVERE reaction. By morning, my face was puffed up and I could hardly breathe, lungs were itchy. I couldn't understand it at first, then it hit me what had been really causing my problems for months: CA fumes.

It didn't start out that bad...but I started turning right as the pandemic started, and I wasn't able to get anything more than a normal face mask, and then eventually a cheap ported mask. After a while I started having more and more severe reactions when turning, ultimately ended up with great difficulty breathing...but not every time I turned. Turned out, it was only the times I used CA. That wasn't a fact until I learned some time later. I tried to get better masks for some time, and it wasn't until about September 2020 that I finally managed to get a 3M half face respirator and the right filters...the pandemic really screwed things up back then. A dust mask will do absolutely squat for the CA. If you want to protect yourself, you need a proper respirator with organic acid/gas filters, as these will actually react with the fumes and bond them in the filter, so you don't breath them. Any particulate-only filter will still allow CA fumes in. If you are starting to have issues, I highly recommend protecting yourself now, before your issue becomes as severe as mine.

jrista

As JohnU, I set my Shop Vac hose behind the blank.
I use a shop vac. Have for a couple of years. I have a variety of attachments, and for pens I use this Rockler pen vac attachment that kind of wraps around the blank on the lathe. Even with that, and with my respirators, sometimes...and I don't know how, I still get exposed. In the long run, I guess the fumes just get sucked through the vac, and probably come right back out? I dunno. In any case, my reactions are severe enough that...well, I guess its safe to say, I fear using CA...

Todd in PA

I use gluboost. It's the best. I also set up a shop vac at the lathe to pull air away from me. I wear a full respirator as well. My nose bleeds and runs for days after without it. I got a long hose so I can set the whole vac outside the shop to blow the fumes out there. When it died (I burnt it up running it hours on hours), I got a new shop vac which has a vent hole, so I can keep the vac inside and just run the exhaust out.

jrista

I use gluboost. It's the best. I also set up a shop vac at the lathe to pull air away from me. I wear a full respirator as well. My nose bleeds and runs for days after without it. I got a long hose so I can set the whole vac outside the shop to blow the fumes out there. When it died (I burnt it up running it hours on hours), I got a new shop vac which has a vent hole, so I can keep the vac inside and just run the exhaust out.
Which vac?

Woodchipper

I use a shop vac. Have for a couple of years. I have a variety of attachments, and for pens I use this Rockler pen vac attachment that kind of wraps around the blank on the lathe. Even with that, and with my respirators, sometimes...and I don't know how, I still get exposed. In the long run, I guess the fumes just get sucked through the vac, and probably come right back out? I dunno. In any case, my reactions are severe enough that...well, I guess its safe to say, I fear using CA...
Never smell any fumes with this setup.

jrista

Never smell any fumes with this setup.
I have a pretty small shop. Its a third car slot, which is pretty darn narrow even for a car. The vac is in this area, basically just behind me where my pen lathe is. I think its because the fumes really just get sucked through and are ejected right back out with all the other air.

I'm also EXTREMELY sensitive to it, so I just barely have to get a whiff, and I've been exposed enough to have problems.

jrista

I use Gluboost on all of my finishes now and haven't had any issues like I have in the past with others. The accelerator has an odor but I now place a vacuum hose behind the blank on the lathe and run it while spraying to pull everything away from me. I didn't have a hood or manufactured system so I just drilled a hole in a 1/2" scrap piece of plywood and put the vac hose through it while placing the bottom of the board through the lathe bed ways to hold it in place. Since I apply my finish with the lathe on, It's just enough to be out of the way from the blank while pulling the fumes away from me.
Nothing fancy…..

I don't seem to have any issues with fumes from accelerators. Not that I've noticed anyway.

I found an old video from Ed on GluBoost when it first came out. He mentioned something about it NOT looking like plastic. That intrigued me enough that, once my current bottle of Mercury Flex is (or rather, are, two of them) gone, I'm going to give GluBoost a try. One of the other reasons I'm not a fan of CA is it really does look like plastic. Especially once it starts to scratch...I just don't like my beautiful wood, looking like plastic.

If GluBoost looks better (and apparently it needs fewer coats...found some threads here and elsewhere where users have said they only need 4-5 coats of the stuff. I suspect that helps limit any plastic look.

I've had a bit more success with the CraftCoat, with a bit warmer weather here. Still rather thick stuff, but I've not found any info about a way to thin it. I think in the summer, it might make for a good finish for some woods. I still have to decide if I like what the finish looks like. I guess its urathane based, and it doesn't shine up like glass like Pens Plus does. It can, however, apparently be buffed, so need to give that a try as well and see how shiny it gets.

leehljp

Member Liaison
When CA is properly used as a finished, (meaning time is taken to develop it as a finish) it does not look like plastic to me. The shine is great and the CA is clear as clear can get to the naked eye. So often I read "don't like the plastic look" - meaning one likes the wood look. I too like wood look but there are beautiful high end pens with shiny finishes and many of those with CA on wood.

For those that don't like the shiny-shiny - Question - would you like the shiny-shiny better if you got $2000 or more for that shiny pen when you could only get $300-$400 for a non shiny but waxed wood pen? 😁

Mike

Is there a test for inhalation allergy to CA? I would like to know if I am allergic to it. I will ask my Dr. when I see him next, just curious if anyone has been tested for this allergy.
I have been to urgent care three times in the last 4-5 months for a severe cough. They prescribed prednisone and an antibiotic. They tested me for flu and corona virus and I was negative each time. the steroid and antibiotic really helps and the steroid also makes much of my chronic pain better for a week or so. It seems like the cough started after turning and then finishing pens with CA.

leehljp

Member Liaison
Is there a test for inhalation allergy to CA? I would like to know if I am allergic to it. I will ask my Dr. when I see him next, just curious if anyone has been tested for this allergy.
I have been to urgent care three times in the last 4-5 months for a severe cough. They prescribed prednisone and an antibiotic. They tested me for flu and corona virus and I was negative each time. the steroid and antibiotic really helps and the steroid also makes much of my chronic pain better for a week or so. It seems like the cough started after turning and then finishing pens with CA.
I myself do not know of one and have not heard of one.

In most cases that I have seen described on this forum - has been almost exactly like my allergy onset 13 or 14 years ago. While a few people may discover it almost at the beginning of using CA, most use the CA for a few months without any symptoms, and for me it was about 2 years, then suddenly some sniffles. The next time in using CA, whether the next day or next week, it becomes more intense - sniffles, runny nose and watery eyes about 3 to 5 hours after using the CA. If one has not figured it out that it is CA by then, then the next time of using CA - 3 to 5 hours later it is like a sudden attack of the flu in the head, nose and lungs. Not fun.

jttheclockman

Mike sorry to hear of your problem. But there are so many things it could be. Right now there are a number of viruses going around. next is is this the first time you used CA as a finish? If used before were there problems? Did you do anything to isolate like venting out the back side of lathe, changing your brand to no smell, using a mask that prevents odors and so forth. Next are you using an accelerant? If so is it matched to your CA? Have you tried finishing without that? Next what woods are you using? Can be dust from so many woods. I believe it is up to you to zero in on the cause before blaming something that may not be. Maybe need to change your method to avoid the smell as much. I do not stay in the shop when doing a CA finish. I put a coat on at end of the day. If thin I am able to put all coats on in one day because it dries on its own very fast. The med takes a few days. But I usually am doing one pen at a time. I never get into a assembly line mode. Leave that for the young at heart. :)

jrista

Not that I am aware of. In the end, for me, it was a process of elimination...I'd eliminated all the other possible causes, and when I once again experienced the suffering I'd been experiencing for months, after having been extremely careful about being exposed to ANY of the diagnosed allergens, as well as wood dust, and other fumes of any kind for over a month.

During that last "attack" (can't call it anything else), at first I wasn't sure what it was. It tends to take a few hours for my exposure to exhibit symptoms, and hours more before they reach their most miserable peak. The morning after my last exposure (when I discovered what was causing my problems), my face had puffed up and I could barely breathe. I was racking my brain trying to figure out what caused it, and it hit me that the only thing I could have been exposed to was CA.

I then took steps to protect myself from it. There were a couple additional mild exposures (due to other people using CA actually, who's fumes I ended up being exposed to, who I have since educated about my issue), and I had the exact same experience as my last self-exposure. I've had very occasional mild exposures since (that was fall 2020), and each time I have the same symptoms. I was going to the nearby urgent care center when I had particularly severe reactions. I'd talked to the same doc there a few times, as well as my allergist (which I started seeing in the fall of 2020 as well.) They have no education about CA specifically, and no knowledge of if, but they agreed that the available evidence points to an anaphylactic like reaction to CA fumes. So I have effectively self diagnosed myself with this CA reaction. I am not sure if its appropriate to call it an allergy, or a toxic reaction...I suspect the latter is more correct. My experiences have been consistent, and any time I smell CA fumes, I basically turn tail and run. I've actually run into them in a Woodcraft once, got the heck out of dodge...ended up with the same symptoms about 4-6 hours later.

For me...if I'm smelling it, it usually means I've been exposed enough to have a reaction. So, I do everything I can, to NEVER smell the stuff. Ever. The Stick Fast smell in particular, I absolutely LOATH. I hate it with an unmitigated passion. My most severe reactions seem to occur if I'm exposed to Stick Fast (which was what I smelled at the Woodcraft...they have a woodshop and do classes there, it seemed like they had something going on that day.) I don't go near the stuff now. I had one mild exposure to Mercury Flex (my respirator exhaust port was malfunctioning at the time, I think). It doesn't smell the same, not as strong, but, I am always wearing maximum protection as much as I can. The mustard/pink 3m respirator filters don't allow me to smell it so I am pretty sure they chemically bond with whatever VOCs CA glues release, and as long as the port membranes are working properly, my half-face respirator seems to work.

One thing I have learned is that, I have to protect my eyes as well...it seems that I can get exposed right through my eyes, so its not just a breathing thing. I'm not sure how that works, and if I feel it in my eyes, I usually don't have the lung involvement (which involves very itchy lungs)...but I DO get the severe nasal/head congestion. I have a Sundstrom full face PAPR as well, but I'm not as confident with that when it comes to CA. It may be better, but, I've been afraid to really test it out! My reactions tend to be so severe...I have stuck with the tried and true so far. I use the Sundstrom for turning larger items when CA is not involved.

Mike

Thanks for the replies. Jrista, I am no doc, but that sounds like anaphylaxis. My symptoms are not as severe as that. I do carry 2 epipens around for a severe allergy to brazil nuts. Last time I was exposed, (1990s), I ended up at the emergency room and having 2 epinephrine shots in about an hour and then they gave me one that was extended release and a course of predinisone. This is not that bad, but the coughing is debilitating, plus everyone in public looks at you with daggers. I try to stay home. The first time it happened was a few days after I started turning pens and using CA after 10 or 12 year break. I went to urgent care and they tested me for covid, flu, and bacterial infections and x-rayed my lungs. They found no illness and my lungs were clear, even though I had green stuff coming out of my sinuses and lungs. This has happened twice more, both times after a pen turning and finishing session. I have an appt. with my allergist (I have severe plant, mold, dog, cat, etc. allergies) and I will speak tom him about it. My sense of smell is poor, I have had 3 major sinus surgeries. After the last one, the surgeon was surprised and happy I could smell or taste anything. So I might be getting more CA fumes than I think.

Again, thanks to all for the concern and replies.

jrista

Thanks for the replies. Jrista, I am no doc, but that sounds like anaphylaxis. My symptoms are not as severe as that. I do carry 2 epipens around for a severe allergy to brazil nuts. Last time I was exposed, (1990s), I ended up at the emergency room and having 2 epinephrine shots in about an hour and then they gave me one that was extended release and a course of predinisone. This is not that bad, but the coughing is debilitating, plus everyone in public looks at you with daggers. I try to stay home. The first time it happened was a few days after I started turning pens and using CA after 10 or 12 year break. I went to urgent care and they tested me for covid, flu, and bacterial infections and x-rayed my lungs. They found no illness and my lungs were clear, even though I had green stuff coming out of my sinuses and lungs. This has happened twice more, both times after a pen turning and finishing session. I have an appt. with my allergist (I have severe plant, mold, dog, cat, etc. allergies) and I will speak tom him about it. My sense of smell is poor, I have had 3 major sinus surgeries. After the last one, the surgeon was surprised and happy I could smell or taste anything. So I might be getting more CA fumes than I think.

Again, thanks to all for the concern and replies.
Sounds like CA to me. The green stuff is consistent with my experience too. From my own research, they say at least 5% of the population can have this kind of reaction. Based on other people who I've either had tell me they have issues like this, or found just reading woodworking forums (or any other content where CA glue is used), "breathing problems" after using CA sound rather common...so, I suspect 5% is a gross underestimate.

jrista

BTW, these are the filters I use:

Not cheap, but...so long as they are still working (eventually, the chemicals in them all bond with agents in the air and they need to be replaced....pretty good time horizon before that happens though, I'd say depending on usage 6-8months on the inside, a year plus on the outside, depending on usage.) Worth the cost, to not have constant severe health issues.

Woodchipper

If you show any kind of reaction to fumes or dust, go to the ER. You might get over it in time but it can get worse over time! I have allergies and, of all things, took allergy shots for a while. Finally, I had a reaction to one, passed out and totaled a new car! At first I thought it was due to having blood drawn. The next month, the reaction started before I got out of the parking lot; no blood draw. Went back to the doctor's office, turned red as a tomato with BP higher than a cat's back. Couldn't give me anything until they got my BP down. That was the last shot!

Mike

I had the allergy shots for about 5 years beginning in mid 90s and they helped me for about 15-20 years. I was tested recently and am allergic to most of the same stuff again. Probably doing the shots again early next year.

wouldentu2?

12 years ago I started using CA for a finish and the next day I always felt like I was coming down with something. I switched to dipping the blanks in poly but quickly discovered the BSI Super gold odorless and was never bothered by CA respiratory issues again. You might give that a try.
You Also might try the dipping method Les Elm uses I did three blanks CA, water based poly and brushing lacquer. Mixed them up and could not tell the difference.

Mike

I picked up a small USB powered fan and glued magnets to the bottom to hold it on the lathe bed right behind the pen blank. I have also been wearing a dust mask. The fan works well to pull the dust and CA fumes away. I have had a cough for weeks, but it is no worse since I have done more turning lately. I am thinking that when the CA fumes really got me was when I used the accelerator. I have been tested a few times for covid and other flus and bacterial infections and all are negative.

dogcatcher

Buy a bathroom exhaust fan. Build a box, add an intake filter and an exhaust. Set it close, as in directly behind the turning area. I used a furnace filter on the front and a micron rated filter on the exhaust.

Stopped almost all dust, and most of the smell. I was surprised at the reduction of smell. But I do not use CA or Glueboost. I use home concoctions of BLO, polyurethane, and mineral spirits. I do this inside of the house. So fumes/smell is a big issue.

My bathroom exhaust is a 70 cfm, I wish I had went with more. The box is 12x12x8. The furnace filter, I cut up 24x24 filter into 4 12x12's. I cut cereal box cardboard for the edges. The 12x12 micron filter I found on eBay.

Todd in PA

To compare notes, a cough is not one of my symptoms of CA exposure. My symptoms include nosebleed, runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus irritation, and wheezing. But never any coughing.

Mike

Buy a bathroom exhaust fan. Build a box, add an intake filter and an exhaust. Set it close, as in directly behind the turning area. I used a furnace filter on the front and a micron rated filter on the exhaust.

Stopped almost all dust, and most of the smell. I was surprised at the reduction of smell. But I do not use CA or Glueboost. I use home concoctions of BLO, polyurethane, and mineral spirits. I do this inside of the house. So fumes/smell is a big issue.

My bathroom exhaust is a 70 cfm, I wish I had went with more. The box is 12x12x8. The furnace filter, I cut up 24x24 filter into 4 12x12's. I cut cereal box cardboard for the edges. The 12x12 micron filter I found on eBay.
That is a great idea. I have a vacuum motor out of an old Tri-Star vacuum. I thought about mounting it on a 16 gallon oil drum and making a cheap dust collector but have not had the motivation yet. This seems like it would be effective, less trouble and not as loud.

Mike

To compare notes, a cough is not one of my symptoms of CA exposure. My symptoms include nosebleed, runny nose, stuffy nose, sinus irritation, and wheezing. But never any coughing.
I am less convinced the cough is from the CA now. I finished a pen with CA recently using just the small fan and no symptoms. It moves most of the dust and fumes away from me, but it is not that efficient.

Top Bottom