Glu Boost and Decals

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

BarrierBob

I have done water slide decals on some of my pens. Always used CA (Stickfast) as a finish over these. I have been considering Glu Boost as a finish, and wondered how well it would work over decals. Just looking for some advice before I swing for the new approach.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

egnald

Although I have not used it yet, I would assume that GluBoost should work very similar to the Stick-Fast finishes as both are Cyanoacrylates which are essentially acrylic resins that polymerize because of moisture or various chemicals used in commercially available "activators". I think one of the keys to GluBoost is the formulation of their accelerator/activator as it prevents the CA from hazing or yellowing when it is applied.

But it may be unwise to follow my assumption. I'm sure there must be someone on the IAP forums that has used GluBoost over waterslide decals.

Regards,
Dave

Drewby108

With stickfast, I have had issues with fogginess on the decals from underneath. The ones with the least amount were ones that I let sit for an extra long time (a couple days) before applying the decal. Going over the decal, I'd sort of paint the glue on with a folded paper towel for the first coat just over the decal. Regular application after that.

I went to a hobby store and the guy there said they have a specialty CA that has less off-gassing and will mostly eliminate the need to wait so long. I didn't get any because I haven't done anymore decals since then, so I don't know the brand.

JohnU

I've used Gluboost over decals and many other times. It is a great finish and you won't be disappointed. I've also had issues with stickfast cracking later on after daily use. I think it was partially the accelerator but I use Gludry with every application of Gluboost and never had an issue.

Top Bottom