globes and eggs

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

workinforwood

I'm just curious if many people make things like globes and eggs with neat little stands to display them on? I do know that I have several on display in my house, made from different types of stones and gems that I or my wife purchase in odd places like the Carribean or wherever. But maybe with woods and plastics the market is real small? Surely there is some kind of market out there people are tapping.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

holmqer

Local Chapter Leader
Not sure I understand the question, is it the making of little things or the making of the stands for those little things? I often carve designs on goose eggs, but normally am too lazy to make the stands. I only make stands for special occasions, normally I just buy a napkin ring from Bed Bath and Beyond. There are enough egg artists that egg stands are easy to find.

I'm just curious if many people make things like globes and eggs with neat little stands to display them on? I do know that I have several on display in my house, made from different types of stones and gems that I or my wife purchase in odd places like the Carribean or wherever. But maybe with woods and plastics the market is real small? Surely there is some kind of market out there people are tapping.

I don't do globes, but I do a lot of the eggoscopes... the egg shaped kaleidoscopes and sometimes I'll turn a matching "egg cup" for them to sit in... I've tried the little stands that you can buy separately for them to stand in, but don't really like them... they appear cheap and gaudy to me... I like the egg cup idea better.

Attachments

• 23-762.JPG
    23-762.JPG
    72.9 KB · Views: 82
  • 23-762-2.JPG
    23-762-2.JPG
    85 KB · Views: 85
  • 23-600.jpg
    23-600.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 88

workinforwood

Those look super Chuck! I have an experiment and if Charlie doesn't get back to me, I'd like for you to have at it if you would be interested. You keep the finished product, I just want feedback and pictures. You can make it be a globe of some sort or a bottle stopper, whatever you think you want. You can see the blank in the casting section with the clear silvered wood. If interested, send me an address so if he doesn't want it I send it to you.

jttheclockman

Not quite sure what you are asking but I make these. I drill the billiard balls for the clocks and make the stands to look like a pool rack.

CopyofIMGP0506.jpg

76winger

I've seen a some of Keith's work on his blog. He does great work. But to the question originally posted, I don't know how much of a market there is.

Top Bottom