Glitterati slim

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Gary Beasley

Gary Beasley

This is my second glitter pen I've made with my in tube casting molds. The first was a Sierra. I took it to work to show it off and a woman I worked with practically snatched it out of my hands, she bought it that day.
The glitter is a medium large silver chip with rainbow sheen on them, glued on with CA and clear cast.
Took me 15 minutes to scrub and scrape off all the glued on glitter from my fingertips. Messy.

Attachments

• glitterati.jpg
    glitterati.jpg
    70.8 KB · Views: 502
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

panamag8or

My girlfriend does these on the regular. She uses mod podge to glue the glitter to the tube... that might be less messy for you.

I tried mod podge first but could not get the glitter to stick thick enough to cover. Any advice on this?

I'd have to ask her, but she just paints it on and rolls the tube in glitter, then sticks the tube on a pencil in a thread spindle to dry. I think she also uses finer glitter. Here's the result of one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/120929840/ruby-slipper-geneva-blingy-red-glitter?ref=shop_home_active

Last edited:

Gary Beasley

My girlfriend does these on the regular. She uses mod podge to glue the glitter to the tube... that might be less messy for you.

I tried mod podge first but could not get the glitter to stick thick enough to cover. Any advice on this?

I'd have to ask her, but she just paints it on and rolls the tube in glitter, then sticks the tube on a pencil in a thread spindle to dry. I think she also uses finer glitter. Here's the result of one:
https://www.etsy.com/listing/120929840/ruby-slipper-geneva-blingy-red-glitter?ref=shop_home_active

I guess I need to try some more. Mod podge would be preferable to CA just for handling. Her pen looks good, nice even coverage of the glitter.

Gary Beasley

Found a easier way

I had some 6 oz plastic jars just tall enough, so I drilled high density plastic rod and turned some small cones, mounted a bolt that fit them into the lid of one and mounted a tube on it. I spread an even layer of glue on the tube, poured the glitter into the jar, screwed the lid onto the jar and shook it well for a quick even cover of glitter. Here's the blank. It'll get worked into a Wall Street pen tomorrow. I also just did one in finer grade purple glitter for a co workers daughter.

Attachments

• 20130720_220336[1].jpg
    20130720_220336[1].jpg
    43.5 KB · Views: 117

SteveG

I have applied similar sized coverings to tubes using Aleene's Tacky Glue (is white in the bottle, dries clear). It also may be easier to work with. This has a very appealing look. Nice work.
Steve

Top Bottom