Ginkgo Leaves

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from jalbert

jalbert

Here is a pen I have been working on for a few weeks. I made it from Nikko ebonite and transparent blue/green acrylic, with Argentium silver overlay and clip. The overlay and clip have a ginkgo leaf motif on them. I skeletonized the negative spaces in the overlay because I like the effect of it on a transparent barrel. The pen uses a jowo #6 nib, and has a max diameter of about 13mm at the barrel.
1247972A-CCBA-4174-B958-EB82BC262C9B.jpeg
AD806113-C0DC-4A89-9EF3-A8ABAF85EEEC.jpeg
271D310C-598B-4132-999E-ADB9E05BD505.jpeg
856C2375-6D54-409E-B821-0DE66A8B6C91.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now I know I probably said this 100 times when you show us a pen, but I believe THIS one is you all time best (until you show us the next one) Absolutely beautiful. That can command some $$$

leehljp

Member Liaison
Stunning! Artistry at its finest!

How do you attach the clip to the silver ring, if I may ask? It looks like the ring and clip could be two separate parts joined together.

Last edited:

magpens

OUTSTANDING, John !!! . . . Words don't do the trick, but that's all I've got . . . inadequate words !!

I can see that there is a massive amount of time and work involved in producing the pen(s) that you show !

As JT already said . . . this is your most impressive piece of work ..... until the NEXT "most impressive" piece of work !!

magpens

The shape of the clip . . . and the ginkgo leaf patterning on the clip and the barrel overlay . . . just OUT OF THIS WORLD !!!!!!

magpens

I am quoting here . . . .

"What does the ginkgo leaf symbolize?

In Japanese decorative art, the ginkgo's distinctive fan-shaped leaf has carried symbolism along with its singular beauty: the ginkgo has been a symbol of longevity (the tree can live for a thousand years) and of a more profound endurance (four ginkgos survived the blast at Hiroshima and are still growing today)."

jalbert

What does the ginkgo leaf symbolize?

In Japanese decorative art, the ginkgo's distinctive fan-shaped leaf has carried symbolism along with its singular beauty: the ginkgo has been a symbol of longevity (the tree can live for a thousand years) and of a more profound endurance (four ginkgos survived the blast at Hiroshima and are still growing today).
Huh interesting to know. I'll be honest, I chose them because I thought it would look good layered on an overlay and be a good starting point for learning to engrave on a curved surface 😂

Jim Smith

Here is a pen I have been working on for a few weeks. I made it from Nikko ebonite and transparent blue/green acrylic, with Argentium silver overlay and clip. The overlay and clip have a ginkgo leaf motif on them. I skeletonized the negative spaces in the overlay because I like the effect of it on a transparent barrel. The pen uses a jowo #6 nib, and has a max diameter of about 13mm at the barrel. View attachment 320588View attachment 320589View attachment 320590View attachment 320591
Not to sound redundant, but WOW! What a beautiful job on an AMAZING pen.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Da.n but you are good! My parents had a Ginko tree many years ago. An interesting species that I was fond of - good for cities with smog, etc. The clip and layered Argentium Silver is masterful. Much of your catalog of works I have admired, this goes right to the top. I do believe you have reached another plateau for what you should command for your art!

Be well and thanks for the inspiration.

sorcerertd

That is just... just... WOW!!! Truly a work of fine art! The details are superb!

Did you make the argentium as a sleeve over some sort of mold/form and then slip it over the finished barrel?

jalbert

That is just... just... WOW!!! Truly a work of fine art! The details are superb!

Did you make the argentium as a sleeve over some sort of mold/form and then slip it over the finished barrel?
It started out as a piece of flat sheet, and I rolled it around a piece of steel bar stock and soldered the seam to make a tube .

jalbert

That is gorgeous. How did you create the overlay?
I rolled up a rectangular piece of silver sheet and soldered the seam to form a tube. I then laid out some leaves on it with a sharpie, and engraved them into the overlay with my pneumatic-assist hand engraver. Once I had all the leaves engraved I pierced the negative spaces between them with a small drill bit, then used a variety of burrs in my foredom tool to open up the negative spaces and refine them.

jrista

I rolled up a rectangular piece of silver sheet and soldered the seam to form a tube. I then laid out some leaves on it with a sharpie, and engraved them into the overlay with my pneumatic-assist hand engraver. Once I had all the leaves engraved I pierced the negative spaces between them with a small drill bit, then used a variety of burrs in my foredom tool to open up the negative spaces and refine them.
That is true craftsmanship. I thought you had the tube with the ginko leaves on them, and just cut out the negative space...but to engrave the entire thing by hand. Some true talent!

jalbert

That is true craftsmanship. I thought you had the tube with the ginko leaves on them, and just cut out the negative space...but to engrave the entire thing by hand. Some true talent!
Thanks! Engraving is something I'd wanted to learn for a while. It's been fun for the three or so months I've been working on it. Pens seem to be a great canvas to work with, and I'm excited to work on some more

TDahl

John. I am not sure I can write anything here that can pay the tribute your work of art it deserves. I am incredibly impressed with your skills and craftsmanship. Thank you for sharing your process with us. I have been interested in implementing metal into my pens and have been researching different techniques (filigree, skeletonize). Is there any guidance you can advise on resources I can check out to learn more?

Thanks again for sharing.

Top Bottom