Gift for the local ministers wife

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Alan Morrison

Alan Morrison

I recently made a pen with a cross in front of a stained glass window ( a @mark james copy/knock off, though with his encouragement )
My neighbour ordered one this morning, said she needed it this afternoon as it would be a gift for the minister's wife.
This is what I ended up with as I had a blow out at one end.
Sirocco kit from Beaufort Ink.
Dressed with cocobolo, elm, and frogwood.

Alan

Attachments

• IMG_1243.jpg
    IMG_1243.jpg
    93.5 KB · Views: 241
  • IMG_1242.jpg
    IMG_1242.jpg
    128.9 KB · Views: 241
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

DJBPenmaker

I recently made a pen with a cross in front of a stained glass window ( a @mark james copy/knock off, though with his encouragement )
My neighbour ordered one this morning, said she needed it this afternoon as it would be a gift for the minister's wife.
This is what I ended up with as I had a blow out at one end.
Sirocco kit from Beaufort Ink.
Dressed with cocobolo, elm, and frogwood.

Alan
Well you'd never know it wasn't meant to be like that, it looks great!

Bats

This is the second time I've seen this design done (I believe the other was made from one of Mark's blanks), and in both cases I've been impressed, but puzzled by just how it works. How do you (or Mark) get that ringed oval insert with the "stained glass" in it?

Alan Morrison

This is the second time I've seen this design done (I believe the other was made from one of Mark's blanks), and in both cases I've been impressed, but puzzled by just how it works. How do you (or Mark) get that ringed oval insert with the "stained glass" in it?
It's cut from the blank using a hole saw and the thickness of the kerf filled with three layers of veneer before glueing in the corresponding portion cut from the 'stained glass 'piece with the same hole saw.
If you look in my 'media' photographs there are a couple of photographs showing this, or better still, check @mark james previous threads or his excellent descriptions which you can find in the resources library. ( if I knew how to put in links I would !!!)
Hope this helps, but if not just contact me again
Alan

Bats

It's cut from the blank using a hole saw and the thickness of the kerf filled with three layers of veneer before glueing in the corresponding portion cut from the 'stained glass 'piece with the same hole saw.
All I've been able to find in the library is the cross (which interests me less - me & crosses never really got on too well) in a rectangular frame, rather than the oval one I was puzzled by, but I understand now... I think?

If I'm interpreting the pictures in your media right, it's basically hole-sawn from the side (cross-wise from the face of the design), using only the side (rather than the entire diameter) of the hole saw, with layers of veneer laid down in the cutout?

My problem was that I was thinking it was drilled from the top, and couldn't figure out how to make an oval design/outline, aside from maybe drilling the hole diagonally and then wrapping the (also diagonally cut) plug tightly with steamed veneer (trying vainly to avoid a visible seam), then somehow attempting to mash the whole mess into the hole. Your/Mark's way, on the other hand, looks like it would actually work.

Alan Morrison

If I'm interpreting the pictures in your media right, it's basically hole-sawn from the side (cross-wise from the face of the design), using only the side (rather than the entire diameter) of the hole saw, with layers of veneer laid down in the cutout?
You've got it ok.
If you go into 'Search' and type in 'Picture Frame Inlay -#1' there is a thread from @mark james in which he has lots of photographs showing the process to make the oval window design. You need to scroll down right to the bottom of the threads as the pictures are all through the different posts.
The jig that Mark uses is a bit more 'high tech' than what I use, but I can send you a photograph of my set-up if you wish.
Hope that you find this useful, and you should 'give it a go'. There is no limit to the different designs that you can fit into the window. My media photographs show a few early noodlings.
Alan

Attachments

• IMG_0908.jpg
    IMG_0908.jpg
    59 KB · Views: 124
  • IMG_0784.jpg
    IMG_0784.jpg
    103.3 KB · Views: 111

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
If you look in my 'media' photographs there are a couple of photographs showing this, or better still, check @mark james previous threads or his excellent descriptions which you can find in the resources library. ( if I knew how to put in links I would !!!)
Hope this helps, but if not just contact me again
Alan
All I've been able to find in the library is the cross (which interests me less - me & crosses never really got on too well) in a rectangular frame, rather than the oval one I was puzzled by, but I understand now... I think?

My problem was that I was thinking it was drilled from the top, and couldn't figure out how to make an oval design/outline, aside from maybe drilling the hole diagonally and then wrapping the (also diagonally cut) plug tightly with steamed veneer (trying vainly to avoid a visible seam), then somehow attempting to mash the whole mess into the hole. Your/Mark's way, on the other hand, looks like it would actually work.
You've got it ok.
If you go into 'Search' and type in 'Picture Frame Inlay -#1' there is a thread from @mark james in which he has lots of photographs showing the process to make the oval window design. You need to scroll down right to the bottom of the threads as the pictures are all through the different posts.
The jig that Mark uses is a bit more 'high tech' than what I use, but I can send you a photograph of my set-up if you wish.
Hope that you find this useful, and you should 'give it a go'. There is no limit to the different designs that you can fit into the window. My media photographs show a few early noodlings.
Alan

Sorry I'm late to the party Mates, life has had other plans the past days, week and months...

Alan, splendid work! I love the colors and the segmenting is second to none. And the 'modification' may have been a hidden blessing - I love the spacing. Awesome artistry.

Here are several of the links that Alan was mentioning:

Library article - for the basic cross assembly.

My window pane thread.

Have fun and do try it out.

Last edited:

howsitwork

Sorry I'm late to the party Mates, life has had other plans the past days, week and months...

Alan, splendid work! I love the colors and the segmenting is second to none. And the 'modification' may have been a hidden blessing - I love the spacing. Awesome artistry.

Here are several of the links that Alan was mentioning:

Library article - for the basic cross assembly.

My window pane thread.

Have fun and do try it out.
nice work Alan!

Mark

I hope the "family assistance programme" is working out OK ?

best wishes to all

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
nice work Alan!

Mark

I hope the "family assistance programme" is working out OK ?

best wishes to all
All is as well as can be. I'm just trying to be as supportive to my wife as I can. She has the burden of Medical Power of Attorney for both her parents (95/94). Decisions have progressed from quarterly, too monthly, now to weekly. My humble workshop will be there when needed. Thanks for the wishes - IAP is my refuge.

howsitwork

Sadly I can truly relate to that, as I am sure can many others.

We will get through this together maybe stronger , hopefully wiser.

stay safe

Bats

Thanks for the details Alan & Mark (sorry I lost track of this thread for a few days)... I'm looking foreward to giving it a shot - although it may not be right away, seeing as my hole saw set isn't something anyone would ever mistake for being high (or even middling) quality. Still, maybe I'll throw caution (and some expendable lumber) to the winds and try it anyhow.

Top Bottom