Gift for my Father-in-law

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Ray-CA

Ray-CA

His favorite aircraft, besides the SR-71 (which he was an engineer for) is the P-51 Mustang. And, since his 85th birthday is Sunday, I found a P-51 blank on Stadium Pen Blanks in their historic aircraft section. Got it turned and assembled Monday on a chrome and gun metal Gatsby kit from Penn State Industries.

If you look closely in the blue silhouette area you can see a fragment of the P-51D serial number 44-14379 that is cast in the blank.
2C60D3A7-0B67-48F7-9446-A2FB7EA623F2.jpeg
E800FADA-5FF7-4F55-95BD-153DFCC564FD.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

greenacres2

Cool gift!! AirZoo in Kalamazoo, MI has an SR-71 on display--grandson's birthday party in early 2020 was held there on one of their "open cockpit" days, apparently only happens a few times a year. Quite an impressive aircraft, my thanks to your father-in-law!!
earl

Ray-CA

Cool gift!! AirZoo in Kalamazoo, MI has an SR-71 on display--grandson's birthday party in early 2020 was held there on one of their "open cockpit" days, apparently only happens a few times a year. Quite an impressive aircraft, my thanks to your father-in-law!!
earl
This is the Blackbird with my Father-in-Laws signature inside the nose gear door: https://www.museumofflight.org/aircraft/lockheed-m-21-blackbird. We were at a large family reunion and the Director of the Museum was giving us a tour. He allowed us to cross the ropes, get under the plane and take photos of Jerry's signature. Really cool day!!!

greenacres2

That's awesome, great way to leave one's mark!! I had minimal expectations for the Kalamazoo museum--but i was overwhelmed. Definitely a place we'll revisit.
earl

Kcimdrib

His favorite aircraft, besides the SR-71 (which he was an engineer for) is the P-51 Mustang. And, since his 85th birthday is Sunday, I found a P-51 blank on Stadium Pen Blanks in their historic aircraft section. Got it turned and assembled Monday on a chrome and gun metal Gatsby kit from Penn State Industries.

If you look closely in the blue silhouette area you can see a fragment of the P-51D serial number 44-14379 that is cast in the blank.
View attachment 305909View attachment 305910
Great looking Pen with a great story I am sure it will be well received. Interesting the British version used Rolls Royce merlin engines. I am a member of the Rolls Royce Heritage Trust and have been since my retirement. I did not work for them but they were one of my biggest customers I sold them equipment to polishiing turbine bades on all sites world wide.

Last edited:
Top Bottom