Getting Closer!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Heard from Rick Herrell (rherrell) a few days ago and it looks like my new (new to me) 7x14 Micro-Mark lathe will be ready to be shipped aronud the middle to end of December, giving me time to make room for it. Now all I need is time to play with it. Anyone who has one is there any quirks I need to know, I'm sure coming from Rick it's in better shape than new. Hope you guys are ready to answer all my dumb questons when I start to play.:wink:

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TomW

Roy,

Go to little machine shop, and get their recommended spare parts. Great to have on Friday night before a long weekend.

DAMHIKT

Tom

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Roy, that's the lathe I have. You'll have a good time with it. Does it come with tools? The quick change post is great in that, you won't have to go thru the steps of changing each tool (cutting, parting,centering roller)and lining up for center. I won't pretend to know much to be of any help but, will if I can. I just got a long nose live center yesterday and, plan to post it here in a while. I really like the looks of it. Should help get closer to the work with the tool post.

OKLAHOMAN

Thanks Chuck, Rick said it came with some things, don't know what but I'm sure that what ever it comes with from him will be good. A QCP will be first on my list.
Roy, that's the lathe I have. You'll have a good time with it. Does it come with tools? The quick change post is great in that, you won't have to go thru the steps of changing each tool (cutting, parting,centering roller)and lining up for center. I won't pretend to know much to be of any help but, will if I can. I just got a long nose live center yesterday and, plan to post it here in a while. I really like the looks of it. Should help get closer to the work with the tool post.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Thanks Chuck, Rick said it came with some things, don't know what but I'm sure that what ever it comes with from him will be good. A QCP will be first on my list.
You're welcome Roy. I think you'll do just fine with the lathe. Can't wait to see the results.

its_virgil

I hope you have more time than I. I have a "new almost 3 yr old" lathe that just got uncrated a couple of months ago and migrated from the garage floor to the top of the workbench. Maybe soon I will start leaning how to use it. It has never been plugged in. Oh, yes it has. Seamus and I plugged it in and let it run just to see what it sounded like. It has a total of 1 minute run time in almost 3 yrs.:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin::frown:
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Last edited:

rherrell

Roy, it comes with ALOT. An A2Z QCTP with about 6 regular tool holders, a parting tool holder and a boring bar holder. I just put all new TIMKEN bearings in the headstock and replaced all the gears, I'll send you all the used gears so you'll have a complete spare set. Also, all the special tools I made for pulling gears in the headstock.

It comes with 4",5" and 6" 3 jaw chucks and a 4" independent 4 jaw chuck.

I'll also send you the 1/2" drill chuck for the tailstock and the special handle I had made that fits in the back of the spindle so you can turn it by hand for threading.

Also all the material I printed out about all the mods I did and of course the change gears and a binder with a complete owners manual.

Oh yeah, the two piece cabinet stand, the green one from Grizzly...real nice!

Is that enough?:biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

I'm hoping that slow boat from China speeds up a little but I have no control over that.:wink:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! Rick is fixing you up Roy. Nice going Rick. Rick, do you have a photo of that handle you made for the head stock? I sure could use one of those myself.

bluwolf

Rick, you might want to let Roy know what size turning tools you use on that lathe. Then he could get those ordered and be waiting on the lathe. Nothing worse than having a new toy...err...tool and not have anything to cut with:biggrin:

manatee

Roy,
I have the Micro Mark 7 x 16 lathe and their milling machine that I started with last year, I enjoyed it so much I moved up to a Grizzly G4003g 12x36 Gunsmith lathe and a Jet 8x36 mill. I have learned a lot from videos available on You tube and some that I purchased. Here are a few suggestion for you:

Download the manual from Little Machine shop for their lathe, it is better than the one that came from Micro mark.

Mit has a complete machine shop series of videos which include the lathe and mill free to download. Here is the link:
http://techtv.mit.edu/videos/142-machine-shop-1

I also purchased Jose Rodriguez's DVD 7 x 10 Mini Lathe operations which is 4 hours long and very detailed (sometimes slow).

Also search Youtube for a guy named Tubalcain he is a retired shop teacher and has over 200 videos on metal working.
Have fun!
Bob

rherrell

I use the 3/8" x 3/8" x 3" square HSS cutters and I grind them myself.

The boring bar is 3/8" and the other is a 5/64" x 1/2" x 4 1/2" - P2N blade type parting tool.

attachment.php

attachment.php

Here's the handle......
attachment.php

attachment.php

I got the handle made here... http://www.tallgrasstools.com/

That was about three years ago, I think I have enough skill now to make my own so I'm going to try with my new lathe.

Attachments

• tools 001.jpg
    tools 001.jpg
    46 KB · Views: 471
  • tools 002.jpg
    tools 002.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 485
  • tools 003.jpg
    tools 003.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 475
  • tools 004.jpg
    tools 004.jpg
    74.6 KB · Views: 479

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Wow! Talk about a mother load:eek: That handle sure would be nice to have. I found out I have arthritis in my left wrist by turning the chuck when cutting threads. Hurt for three days. Thanks for posting the photos Rick. Good luck making that handle on the new lathe.

Mapster

Roy, you will get the hang of it in no time. Can't wait to see the amazing creations you come up with! Hey Rick... Would you happen to have another one of those lying around? That is one sweet set up right there, I think one would look good next to my wood lathe! :biggrin:

I have been in Roy's shop, I'm not sure where he is going to put it....lol.

It's about time to come for a visit again, if for no other reason to have a good visit and go to that great hamburger place you took me to last time.

OKLAHOMAN

Dan, I've been scratching my head where to put it ever since I told Rick I'll take it, I bought a shop stretcher hope it works!!:wink:. Dan your always welcome here and the hamburgers are waiting
I have been in Roy's shop, I'm not sure where he is going to put it....lol.

It's about time to come for a visit again, if for no other reason to have a good visit and go to that great hamburger place you took me to last time.

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
Roy, I thought this shot might help encourage you to find room for your metal lathe. Maybe, move the coffee table over :biggrin:

This piece should be done tomorrow.

Attachments

• IMG_1065.JPG
    IMG_1065.JPG
    124.9 KB · Views: 220

Curly

There is likely room in front of the toilet for a bench top lathe on a low bench. :) Multitasking at its best. :wink:
Just remember to shake the chips off the TP! :eek:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
*&%*(*&%$&**#@ AND OTHER CUSS WORDS:mad:A Cebloplast kitless I presume!
Roy, I thought this shot might help encourage you to find room for your metal lathe. Maybe, move the coffee table over :biggrin:

Thanks for the ID Roy. I've had this piece for a couple of years waiting for the right time to turn. I've found that this stuff melts QUICKLY :redface: I've been out working on it and, had a bit of a design failure.....if you can imagine that:rolleyes: I have it worked out for the next one. So, I guess I have you fired up now:biggrin: and, you have about 10 days or so, to make your plans. :wink: I can't wait to see what comes from it.

Whats Chuck up to :biggrin: il be keeping my eye out for this post
Nothing special Brad. Just another plane old Home Made roller ball pen :biggrin: Should have it posted this evening.(If there are no unexpected delays)

bitshird

You going to be a lathe operating fool Roy. Micro Mark lathes are one of the better 7x what ever, lathes, and the tooling your getting, you'll be ready to rock and roll.

OKLAHOMAN

:frown:Got an Email from Rick today, looks like his lathe from Grizzly has been put off until at least January:crying: So my lathe won't be in time for Christmas:curse:.
Oh well gives me more time to find a spot for it...Damn wish that shop stretcher would get here first...:rolleyes:

Dalecamino

Local Chapter Leader
BOO-Hoo....that sucks Roy. But, it does give you more time to get things situated and, make room for it. I was hoping to see some pens soon. Well, try not to think about it :biggrin:

Top Bottom