Getting Closer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

After my shows this year I decided to give the basement a once over. My shop has taken over the game room to the point it was impossible to walk through there. Could not see the top of the pool table in such a long time. Well I was at least able to consolidate a lot of things and make it presentable and now getting into the shop area. I say within a few more days I should be able to finally return to making some pens. I will do this throughout the winter and return to scrolling in the summer months. Have so many new ideas for both pens and scrolling. I hope some of the new pen ideas will be possible and time will tell. Trying a few new things and twists on some old ideas. Have a couple pen boxes to make also. I owe my brother one and it will be a surprise for him if I can pull it off. Should be a few interesting months to say the least and now the shop is cleaned I can actually move around in there. May even play a game or two of pool.:)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Cleaned up huh... What did you find. And now that you are re-organized what can't you find. This time next year I will have moved. New set up. Might have a company install custom bench, cabinets. However I'm at my best with crap all over the place. I know where everything is. Things that are put away stay away forgotten. Good luck with your new shop. As for a game or 2 of pool. OnePocket? I'm in.

Woodchipper

Parallels the quip from Jeff Foxworthy- If you mow your yard and find a car...you might be a redneck.
I cleaned my shop yesterday to keep my sanity from three disasters at pen making.

I've been threatening my shop with a clean up for a couple of years now... since the market is over and I have my step son here to help, just might tackle it this coming couple of months... figure it will take that long. May need a little help getting over my hoarder syndrome.

I used to have the clean up project in my old shop. It was 24' x 24' and I could stack a lot of stuff in it. My new shop is 9' x 15' so I have to keep it "clean" or I can't find anything. The new shop has forced me to keep it clean but at times it can get a bit out of control. Enjoy your new "clean" shop JT. I'll start my equipment/safety inspection tomorrow and get ready for what I hope will be a great New Year!

jttheclockman

Hoarder syndrome. I do not have that. I just can't seem to throw anything away. That is my story and sticking to it. I think I kept ever small piece of scrap I ever cut off and did not use. Cleaned those out and sure the trash guys got a work out. Found a bunch of tools I must have bought at woodworking shows that I will never use. Those people sure know how to lure you in at those shows. I am glad they moved the show and I have not been there now for a couple years. I have so many copies of plans that I have an entire cabinet full of them. Organized some of that or at least put them in the cabinet. I can live another 10 lifetimes and still not come close to doing all those projects. Tons and tons of woodworking magazines that I at least have in storage boxes and now have to figure out how to get rid of them. No one wants them any more. That is ashame for sure. Pen stuff, man I have to stop buying. I do need to make this cabinet to at least store all those boxes. As I said I at least organized and got rid of cardboard boxes of one thing in this box and another on another box. That is what took up alot of room. In the shop I had not vaced the entire shop in years. Now it is too clean.

I am sure it will be back to a mess in no time but at least if I pass my brother can get the stuffed cleared out easier and throw in dumpster. I keep telling him it will be the most expensive dumpster going down the street. I do keep pounding it in his head the name of this place to at least unload the pen stuff to get some cash back. Hope he remembers. :)

Hoarder syndrome. I do not have that. I just can't seem to throw anything away. That is my story and sticking to it. I think I kept ever small piece of scrap I ever cut off and did not use. Cleaned those out and sure the trash guys got a work out. Found a bunch of tools I must have bought at woodworking shows that I will never use. Those people sure know how to lure you in at those shows. I am glad they moved the show and I have not been there now for a couple years. I have so many copies of plans that I have an entire cabinet full of them. Organized some of that or at least put them in the cabinet. I can live another 10 lifetimes and still not come close to doing all those projects. Tons and tons of woodworking magazines that I at least have in storage boxes and now have to figure out how to get rid of them. No one wants them any more. That is ashame for sure. Pen stuff, man I have to stop buying. I do need to make this cabinet to at least store all those boxes. As I said I at least organized and got rid of cardboard boxes of one thing in this box and another on another box. That is what took up alot of room. In the shop I had not vaced the entire shop in years. Now it is too clean.

I am sure it will be back to a mess in no time but at least if I pass my brother can get the stuffed cleared out easier and throw in dumpster. I keep telling him it will be the most expensive dumpster going down the street. I do keep pounding it in his head the name of this place to at least unload the pen stuff to get some cash back. Hope he remembers. :)

Not sure if you have this around you, but about every 6 months or so I gather up all the magazines I don't want and take them to the laundromat in town. I know a lot of people who can't afford to get magazines and they appreciate getting them. There's other places too but just be sure to take your name off of them.

jttheclockman

Not sure if you have this around you, but about every 6 months or so I gather up all the magazines I don't want and take them to the laundromat in town. I know a lot of people who can't afford to get magazines and they appreciate getting them. There's other places too but just be sure to take your name off of them.
Oh my take my name off. I could be there for months on end. Isn't there some device to do this easier.

jttheclockman

A shredder I guess would work but you'd lose the entire magazine. How about doing a box at a time, maybe one per month or so. At some point you'd have them all gone.
No there is some kind of black out paint or something that I one time read about. Something like they use for redacting files.

No there is some kind of black out paint or something that I one time read about. Something like they use for redacting files.

I just recently bought some large Sharpie Markers and they work great. You might give them a shot and I think my wife got them on Amazon. Just be careful though, they take a few more seconds than normal to dry...I've gotten quite a few black fingers after using them.

Woodchipper

Take them to the closest VA hospital or outpatient clinic. I get tired of Better Homes & Gardens- wife gets it so it's old material. National Geographic is good but you get halfway through an article and they call you back to the lab or doctor. This is another prime example of Murphy's Law.

Grampy

....... about every 6 months or so I gather up all the magazines I don't want and take them to the laundromat in town. I know a lot of people who can't afford to get magazines and they appreciate getting them. There's other places too but just be sure to take your name off of them.

I like this solution...(sort of)

Years ago my teenage daughter would take an empty pizza box to her room???
A few days later she would take the pizza box to the garbage???

After several "observations" of this process, Curiosity had me check a pizza box (in the garbage).. it was full of my 'old' magazines..
Looking back, I wondered why my magazine piles stopped growing...

Top Bottom