Getting back into the swing after 7 years...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from rixstix

rixstix

About 7 years ago, life took a turn. I repurposed the lathe into a specialty table saw, followed by 4 more lathes turned into specialty table saws all with the help of Rick Herrell. About Christmas time this year, I thought that it was about time to restore at least one of those lathes to its original purpose of pen turning AND go digging through storage boxes still unsorted after a house move. It literally was Christmas time.

Here are a couple of the first in over 7 years of downtime. It is like riding a bike, you never forget BUT the older you get, the longer it takes to get back into the swing of things.

Attachments

• PolyResinFP_01102021web640.jpg
    PolyResinFP_01102021web640.jpg
    18.2 KB · Views: 175
  • PolyResin_01102021web640.jpg
    PolyResin_01102021web640.jpg
    22.5 KB · Views: 164
  • RedDragon2_enhanced640.jpg
    RedDragon2_enhanced640.jpg
    17 KB · Views: 173
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

rixstix

OOOPS. That'll teach me to get distracted while in the middle of a post.

Both pens used Bullseye Turning Supply kits.
Red Dragon Diamondcast by McKenzie Penworks
PR resin unlabeled from at least 8 years ago

Probably should put this into its own thread elsewhere but the lathes turned into specialized, mini tablesaws. 4" x 6" specialized table mounted to the toolpost on a 30ish degree slope. 1.5" 135 or 1.75" 169 tooth blade mounted to a 3/4" arbor into an ER32 collet. The variable speed PSI turncrafter controls were adjusted internally to give a lower bottom speed around 50rpm. The Jet 1014s were left pulley drive at the lowest setting.

jttheclockman

OOOPS. That'll teach me to get distracted while in the middle of a post.

Both pens used Bullseye Turning Supply kits.
Red Dragon Diamondcast by McKenzie Penworks
PR resin unlabeled from at least 8 years ago

Probably should put this into its own thread elsewhere but the lathes turned into specialized, mini tablesaws. 4" x 6" specialized table mounted to the toolpost on a 30ish degree slope. 1.5" 135 or 1.75" 169 tooth blade mounted to a 3/4" arbor into an ER32 collet. The variable speed PSI turncrafter controls were adjusted internally to give a lower bottom speed around 50rpm. The Jet 1014s were left pulley drive at the lowest setting.
Oh we have to see this and what is it that you did with these saws or lathes. Are you still using them??

rixstix

Oh we have to see this and what is it that you did with these saws or lathes. Are you still using them??
  • Make a spring out of silver, gold and other precious metal wires. 10 different wire diameter (gauge) choices in each metal. 5-6 dozen mandrel diameters.
  • Cut down the center of the spring coil and each turn falls out as an individual ring (sorta resembles a lock washer). I use drylube instead of steady liquid lube when cutting the metal. That makes salvaging the dust a bit easier. The specialized table in itself is a jig to guide the coil.
Yes, still using 4 of them. Just had a couple hundred blades resharpened, so I'm good for another while. 'Rona' has affected our jumpring business so we abandoned the base metal wires so that I could return one machine back to its function as a lathe.

jttheclockman

Would love to see them and hear more back story as to what you do. Hope this is not trade secret stuff that you can not tell us. If so you should never had mentioned it. You have my curiosity piqued

Top Bottom