Getting away from UGLY, SPL Yellow Birch

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from PenWorks

Status
Not open for further replies.

PenWorks

Wow, Tom was right, I was having nightmares making Ugly pens :) I was even thinking how I could increase my production from about 10 nice pens a week to 100 ugly pens without increasing shop time ! :D

So the only way to break the bad habit is make something nice. ;)

This is a Baron Black TI in spalted yellow birch, (no spots on this one)
I left the 2 extra center band pieces off. Vern's looked really nice that way. On a black pen with black wood, it gives it a more one piece look.

The other barrels are Beef Wood & Red Wood Lace Burl, they are nice, but didn't say "put me together" so I will file them with my finished blanks for next Nov. Dec. when the rush comes again. :D

200513142934_DSC01091.jpg

200513142956_DSC01095.jpg

New Year resolution....No More Ugly PENS [xx(] Anthony

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Vern

That's a keeper, Anthony! The spalted wood can have some amazing figure. Where did you get that birch and was it stabilized? I might need some of that. [:)] Pretty soon I'm going to have enough blanks to build an addition to the house.....

Vern

PenWorks

Vern, I bought about 30 pieces off ebay 3 years ago. I did a few pens but was really soft and flakey. I found someone to stabalize the blanks and started turning them again. check this link out for a before and after of the sabalizing from Red River Prod. Anthony

http://www.penturners.org/forum/topic.asp?TOPIC_ID=2402

dougle40

Anthony,
Nice looking pens , you know if you were to put them out in the street for a while then rub them with some mud , they might be a good candidate for the ugly pen contest --Oh wait a minute - that's already been sugested somewhere hasn't it !!! [:p][:eek:)][:D][:D]

WoodChucker

Anthony, great looking pen, I don't think I've seen spalted yellow birch before, I like it. And I agree with you on the other two blanks, the one really looks like old meat and the lace-wood I've never really cared for either, I have some too, and I keep pushing it aside for better looking blanks. But I'm sure one day I'll get around to turning it. Anyway, nice job on the pen!

R.T.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom