Get me home keyring

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

I'd just finished loading the back of my car for a recent golf trip and as I shut the boot it didn't close properly and I heard a nasty crunching sound. I tentatively raised it again and saw my keys, which I'd inadvertently left in the lip of the boot, had taken the hit and my keyring had smashed into many pieces (see last pic).

I was a bit gutted as I was really fond of it. It was quite simple - I'd made it from a scrap of Mazzucchelli and was designed to keep toothpicks in. When you get to a certain age if you go out for a meal with your friends, and you become known as the guy with the toothpicks, you will never dine alone again 😊.

Anyway I had to make another so went for something a little different - I currently have a bit of an obsession with hexagonal shaped things.

This uses a little brass insert from Prokraft who are based here in the uk (I mentioned this company, with links, in response to a recent post from @alanemorrison).

It's tortoiseshell cellulose acetate and I made this a little longer so it can hold a rolled up £20 note as a "get me home" key ring. In case I ever need to get home and I haven't got my wallet or my phone, I can't get hold of my family and I don't have any friends with me (basically I'm never gonna need it but it's a nice idea). Of course if my keys ever get stolen then not only will they have the keys to my home and my car but they'll also have a £20 bonus so they can get a free taxi to my house which they can then break into and steal all my worldly possessions and drive away in my car. Perfect really.

Cheers
Ash

DCA6C049-AB10-4426-9513-FE38EDDE9392.jpeg
CC61F854-3CB7-48DD-A538-FDB68B463A88.jpeg
68F88DA3-B52E-4515-865B-E6107C5AB748.jpeg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Valleyboy

That's about as nice as it gets. I can't imagine making something like that. Very nice indeed.
Thank you, and I'm sure you could. This is one of those rare things where you get a really nice result for fairly minimal effort. Admittedly the hex shape adds something to it and I did that on a mill which took a little bit of time. But even if you can't do that, and just left it cylindrical, it would still look great. The polished brass detail, (which I didn't make), is doing a lot of the heavy lifting here.

Top Bottom