George's Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Fbranco

Last in line:

Thank you George for putting there tutorials together.
They are invaluable for spreading of the craft.

"Dogs bark, but the caravan moves on"
Saudi proverb

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mtgrizzly52

OK....
You know, I've been giving this a bit of thought the past few days/weeks along with some other things going on and have even considered logging off the forum for a few months to let things cool down or just for good, but finally came to a conclusion this morning.

Regardless of what some buttheads think (sorry, that's what they are, can't think of another name for them), I do not write tutorials to be popular, I don't write them to convince others to do things "My way", and I sure as hell don't write them to show off my vast amount of pen making knowledge since what I know wouldn't amount to a pimple on the butt of a seasoned pen turner...... I just like sharing and helping others and always have.

When I first joined the forum I was so impressed with the likes of Ed Davidson (Yo-Yo spin) and Russ Fairfield and how they openly share what they know with others. They aren't afraid of someone figuring out their "secrets" or copying their work, they just share their experiences. I thought that some day when I had something to share I would do the same. While I lack the expertise to do nice videos like they do, I have tried through photos and words to share what I have learned.

The way I see it, if 50-60 people are helped or inspired to try something different by what I say for every 3 or 4 buttheads that take exception or have to make wise cracks every chance they get, then those buttheads are going to just have to learn to live with it!

So, if this thread can just fade away I PROMISE to finish part two of "another way of making a pen" with "another way of making a pen - Lid!" as soon as I return home from the holidays, probably the second week of January. But for now, it's sunny California here I come - get ready!

Bravo George! Bravo!

You exemplify the reason the IAP site is the success that it is by sharing your experiences and knowledge with all of us, beginners, intermediates and even the experts can learn from any member of this forum. Thank you for carrying on and for "your way" of making pens!

Rick (mtgrizzly52)

TurnaPen

George, I just looked at your Tutorial, and added it to my list of References.
I am not sure WHO or WHY you were criticized!? ANYONE-who goes out of their way to do a Tutorial needs applauding and thanking, IF there is a grevious, dangerous error-point it out gently and quickly and I am sure the writer will correct it. IF it is just a matter of procedure, then, the reader can look at three tutorials on the on subject and incorporate what they want and when they want. No need to knock people or put them down, there are enough people ready to do that who won't even lift a little finger to help you along the way.
On my behalf, Thank you George from the bottom of my heart, for the time and care and concern you have shown to your fellow turners, do not stop, keep it up--I for one need you. Amos

its_virgil

Hey George...Let the wife drive the 5th wheel to the left coast and you can have it finished by the time you get there.:biggrin::biggrin: Have fun and forget us for a few days...we'll be here when you get back.
Do a good turn daily!
Don
PS: THANKS

OK....
So, if this thread can just fade away I PROMISE to finish part two of "another way of making a pen" with "another way of making a pen - Lid!" as soon as I return home from the holidays, probably the second week of January. But for now, it's sunny California here I come - get ready!

judgesawdust

George DON'T STOP!!

Wow. I just read this thread for the first time and am dismayed. Like one of the first posters (maybe the very 1st!), I am a new pen turner, just a hobbyist, and am in awe of your work.

The tutorial you gave on "mandrel-less" turning caused me to buy some beautiful Amboyna burl from YoYo Spin (Ed) -- a fantastic artist and great guy!-- and some new lathe accessories from johnnycnc (John) -- another fantastic guy to deal with!) and try my hand at it.

Your tutorial was excellent. Did I say that loud enough? EXCELLENT:biggrin:!

The world is filled with louses, grouses and na'er-do-wells. I see them everyday in my job. Luckily I don't see them often here or on SawMillCreek or I wouldn't frequent these forums.

Please don't be dissuaded by those type of people. You were right. They are full of "BS." Don't let them win by stopping you from teaching us. You inspire so many more people than you can probably imagine. If you need to stop because it is too time consuming or taking away from your personal or family time, that is totally understandable. But don't stop for the infrequent idiot.

Thanks from all of us who do not have nearly the artistic talent you do; nor the know-how. We would have a very difficult time spending our leisure on this fun pastime without the generosity of people like you.

jeff

PenMan1

George:
The Circus doesn't stop because of one mad monkey! Please keep posting your wonderful tutorials (IMHO, among the VERY BEST on IAP). Let those that don't like them, not read them.

Yours are always relevant, a new way to approach problems and always well illustrated.
Thanks
Andy

Dorno

George I just think that no matter what you or anyone else does there is always someone who wants to complain or pick at things that people do. You never see them offering any contribution to things. I think its great to see the tutourials that members do and without them I could not have learn't alot of the things I have so dont let some idiot ruin it for everyone else.

Cheers Ian

Gary Zakian

George,

New to pen making, but I spent a lot of time researching tools, techniques, etc... in order to be prepared to spend my money wisely and get the biggest bang for the buck. Your tutorials (especially turning between centers) helped me understand where I may want to head in the future regarding pen making, and to plan accordingly.

Your tutorials are most definitely appreciated!!

Gary

George,
I'm glad you've changed your mind... we need all the help we can get from every source. Having done a small tutorial myself, I know and appreciate the time and effort you have put into yours.

I have read and down loaded your tutorial for future reference. As well as some from Ed and Russ. I don't necessarily consider them a definitive authority, but they are certainly more knowledgeable than me, as are you, and I have taken from theirs and your tutorials those parts that I can use and ignore the rest... Thank you for your efforts and I look forward to more.

Gary Zakian

George,

Like I said in a reply yesterday, I really appreciate your input and tutorials.

Just today I read your post "An eye opener for me - Lathe drilling with short bits" and, as one new to turning and just getting my shop set up, immediately benefited from it as I have been debating whether to invest in a drill press or pursue the drilling on lathe route. This article convinced me to do the lathe route. Since I do not have much money to spend, having someone else with the knowledge and providing the "test results" in such articles helps me be a good steward with my limited funds in order to achieve the best results possible.

Thanks again.

Gary Zakian

lorbay

Come on George who cares about the grief, there will always be negative annies out there what ever a guy tries to do. So push it aside and give us the people who like your tutorials the other half.
This site needs people like you.

Lin.

n5zkz

I know I'm new here but here but here is my $0.02 worth.
And this is from someone who has been a woodworking enthusiast since sometime in the late 70's and played on the lathe of and on since 79 or 80, and have been turning pens for 6 years now.
I was looking for specific information when I found this forum. "turning between the centers" is the first tutorial of yours I saw, it was the first one I saw here.
In fact, that tutorial is the reason I decided to join the forum here.
I could go on for a while but... to keep it short...
What works for you, works for you (and very well from what I see).
In fact, I'm going to adapt some of your techniques in my next quest, turning between the centers. and I'll put my own spin on it (pun intended:biggrin:)
and if someone comes along and says anything about it, then oh well.
Because what works for me, works for me and I have enough people wanting to buy my pens to keep doing it the way I do. I am just wanting to kick it up to the next level . (selling some of my pens helps keep my hobbies going)
so, keep on turning.

Arvin

Oh, yea... thanks for all the info you have shared with the forum, i know it has helped me with a couple things that had me going :confused:

George,
I am flabberghasted that someone might critize your efforts....let me at 'em!!! I just spent $150.00 on materials t follow your tutorial methods. I am not new to turning pens and feel it was just what I needed. Now I have to have the second part of it. PLease, for those of us who need it, please add it. Forthose that criticize someones effort, let them go somewhere else, we dont do that , here.

Rfturner

george your tutorials are always very thorough and clear. I hope that you continue writing them for the sake of newer pen turners. I know that they can take time but everyone can see that you put alot of effort into them

Top Bottom