George's Tutorial

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

avbill

Several weeks ago George made a wonderful tutorial for the bottom half of the pen! I'm hope I'm not putting words in his mouth, but I believe he said there would be a 2nd half to the bottom showing the top! I have been off and on the site and I'm trying to find it. Did I miss it or am I early for a change.

rlofton

Yep, he said it. But you know George. Sometimes he likes to keep folks waiting. I bet if you beg him a little (publicly, that is) he'll get it done and posted pretty soon.

Texatdurango

Several weeks ago George made a wonderful tutorial for the bottom half of the pen! I'm hope I'm not putting words in his mouth, but I believe he said there would be a 2nd half to the bottom showing the top! I have been off and on the site and I'm trying to find it. Did I miss it or am I early for a change.
Sorry, I will not write any more tutorials! It's not worth the grief and BS that comes along afterwards. If you would like some assistance with anything specific I would be happy to assist where I can via PM.

cnirenberg

Sorry, I will not write any more tutorials! It's not worth the grief and BS that comes along afterwords. If you would like some assistance with anything specific I would be happy to assist where I can via PM.

George,
It's too bad, you do a great job of it. I have found all your tutorials straight up and to the point and most of all, easy to follow. Well done.

dustmaker

George,

Let me pile on and say thank you as well. It is like Russ said in his recent post on how he does CA finishing. It is his way not the only way. You posted your way. You make some mighty fine looking pens and I certainly hope one day to emulate that. I am grateful that you took the time to share that. Don't let a few ill comments undermine the good work you do. You posted with good intentions and it has helped many of us.

Sorry, I will not write any more tutorials! It's not worth the grief and BS that comes along afterwards. If you would like some assistance with anything specific I would be happy to assist where I can via PM.

That's too bad George... I don't pay much attention to the following posts... but I did save your tutorial for future reference.... I generally save all tutorials that have been posted here... I find them very helpful and often incorporate parts of them into my own technique... yours was very helpful.

I do some things slightly different, but also see some points I think I want to try.

Last edited:

leehljp

Member Liaison

George,

That was a super tutorial and deserves publishing, upgrades, updates and anything you can give it. Don't let a few stop great work!

altaciii

George,
As the IAP grows so does the demographics of it members. I have enjoyed the fruits of Jeff's labor and all the others involved with keeping it an honest and family friendly reference source for all of us. Your tutorial is one of the best I have seen and I have saved it as well. Please don't let the bad comments by one or a few of the less informed members discourage you from completing the lessons that most of us need and cherish. Penmakers, such as you, that have the knowledge and talent to teach are a blessing to us less fortunate in that talent to improve.

wood-of-1kind

George, if it means much, I think that you do a "great" job in sharing knowledge and your tutorials are well thought out and perfectly photographed. If you maintain your stance, "we" all suffer.:frown: Please reconsider.:)

TheRealSmith

George,
With what I learned from your post I have been getting one perfect CA finish after another.... :biggrin: Thank You so Much. People need to open their minds to other ways of seeing and doing and the world would be a better place.

Dan
Burlieve it or Knot

hunter-27

Passed Away Aug 14, 2013
In Memoriam
I can get a nice CA finish pretty consistantly but I'd be right jolly if I had seen the tutorial that might make an easier process out of it. George, I'd be glad to accept your help, publically or privately I could sure use some of your knowledge.

gwilki

Hell, George, I've gotten grief for not doing tutorials, so you really can't win. Your stuff is excellent. FWIW, my advice is to ignore those who criticize or denigrate and go on with your tutorials. You are doing them for the right reasons, and clearly have many who profit by them. You should feel good about that.

PTownSubbie

George,

You're killin me! Whatever others say....ignore it. I think your tutorials are just fine!!

If you don't help us lowly folks out, who will? Having to do things via PM is cumbersome for you. Multiple PM's with the same question would be crazy to manage.

I think a famous line fits here...."Can't we just all get along?"

Thanks for all your knowledge so far George but you aren't getting off that easy!!!

We want more....We want more.....We want more..... Everyone join in now.....

RAdams

Banned
yeah, Cmon George... I don't even like you, but that Tutrial was amazing! I read it twice!

I am a bit confused as well.. I went back and read the entire thread and didnt see anything but praise.

Anyway... please don't stop writing Tuts!

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
Well, I don't know what grief you have received, but I thank you for what you have taught me.

PaulSF

Speaking as a newbie, I really appreciate the generosity of everyone here. This is a craft, and so there's no one way to do things. Some processes work better for some people than for others, and we all have our preferred ways. That being said, everyone is so willing to share and to help and to guide others. It's really great. So yes, people are going to butt heads occasionally, because we have a lot of true artisans here. And when you're an artisan, you're entitled to a point of view and an ego.

Anyway, just remember, when you provide a tutorial for what works for you, there are probably a hundred newbies like me who are grateful for it, but who might not speak up as loudly as others.

jimofsanston

George when i first started turning last year at christmas I found this sight. The first thing i found was your video's. You have taught me so much about turn pens with you techniques. There are always going to be negative people out there, I run into it them everyday. I myself just let it go by the wayside and continue on because i know there are more out there that have a better view that just don't say it outloud. I too wish you would keep on making your video's so i too can be like you one day with your talent. You have so much knowledge and are willing to give it freely. That shows me you are a very special friend even if i have never met you. I would like to one day.

Noah

I've learned a lot from your tutorials...
I hate to see you stop giving out your hard earned knowledge...
"Learn from the mistakes of others. You can't live long enough to make them all yourself."
Eleanor Roosevelt...
"Learn from the advice of others, it based on their learning through trial and error..."
Ed

DennisM

George come on man, step up and show the idiots who the bigger man is. You would stop making pens if the same jerk said you didnt know what you were doing or they sucked would you?

Didnt think so!

So if you don't want to write anymore thats a choice you are free to make. But dont blame it on the idiots that do not know how to repect the work of another, that justs gives then more power.

You do great work in both written and physical form. rise above and carry on!

Dennis

Texatdurango

OK....
You know, I've been giving this a bit of thought the past few days/weeks along with some other things going on and have even considered logging off the forum for a few months to let things cool down or just for good, but finally came to a conclusion this morning.

Regardless of what some buttheads think (sorry, that's what they are, can't think of another name for them), I do not write tutorials to be popular, I don't write them to convince others to do things "My way", and I sure as hell don't write them to show off my vast amount of pen making knowledge since what I know wouldn't amount to a pimple on the butt of a seasoned pen turner...... I just like sharing and helping others and always have.

When I first joined the forum I was so impressed with the likes of Ed Davidson (Yo-Yo spin) and Russ Fairfield and how they openly share what they know with others. They aren't afraid of someone figuring out their "secrets" or copying their work, they just share their experiences. I thought that some day when I had something to share I would do the same. While I lack the expertise to do nice videos like they do, I have tried through photos and words to share what I have learned.

The way I see it, if 50-60 people are helped or inspired to try something different by what I say for every 3 or 4 buttheads that take exception or have to make wise cracks every chance they get, then those buttheads are going to just have to learn to live with it!

So, if this thread can just fade away I PROMISE to finish part two of "another way of making a pen" with "another way of making a pen - Lid!" as soon as I return home from the holidays, probably the second week of January. But for now, it's sunny California here I come - get ready!

DennisM

OK....
You know, I've been giving this a bit of thought the past few days/weeks along with some other things going on and have even considered logging off the forum for a few months to let things cool down or just for good, but finally came to a conclusion this morning.

Regardless of what some buttheads think (sorry, that's what they are, can't think of another name for them), I do not write tutorials to be popular, I don't write them to convince others to do things "My way", and I sure as hell don't write them to show off my vast amount of pen making knowledge since what I know wouldn't amount to a pimple on the butt of a seasoned pen turner...... I just like sharing and helping others and always have.

When I first joined the forum I was so impressed with the likes of Ed Davidson (Yo-Yo spin) and Russ Fairfield and how they openly share what they know with others. They aren't afraid of someone figuring out their "secrets" or copying their work, they just share their experiences. I thought that some day when I had something to share I would do the same. While I lack the expertise to do nice videos like they do, I have tried through photos and words to share what I have learned.

The way I see it, if 50-60 people are helped or inspired to try something different by what I say for every 3 or 4 buttheads that take exception or have to make wise cracks every chance they get, then those buttheads are going to just have to learn to live with it!

So, if this thread can just fade away I PROMISE to finish part two of "another way of making a pen" with "another way of making a pen - Lid!" as soon as I return home from the holidays, probably the second week of January. But for now, it's sunny California here I come - get ready!

And with that the good man is back!

Thank you!

Hogdriver

George,

I'm new here as I just started turning this summer. As you can see, I don't post often either, but wanted to comment.

I wouldn't enjoy this hobby without advice and tutorials such as yours. They inspire creativity in others.

Thank you,
-Lee

Last edited:

RAdams

Banned

Wow, did I do that good of a job explaining things? :eek:

With many members asking about the ins and outs of making a pen like this in other threads and forums I would have thought there would have been at least a few questions or comments that needed discussing. Or some of the other more experienced turners might have some suggestions for me.

I am confused...

P.S. the tutorials were both helpful! the TBC one, and the one question...

rcflyer23

Bravo George..... I am so glad that you decided to go ahead with the second part. I have been thinking of trying this type of pen and you have given me a clear path to give it a try. I can't wait to see the "Lid" tutorial.

Sberger

Good decision, George. I have been on this site for a few months and your posts and videos have helped a lot. Everyone does things a little different, and some can't understand that. I thank you for the help on the site. You are much more loved on the site than you give yourself credit for!
Steve

RussFairfield

Passed Away 2011
In Memoriam
George,
You should write articles for publication in Woodturning Design or The American Woodworker. Getting paid for the effort makes it a lot more worthwhile, and nobody argues with you.

ldb2000

George , thank you for not letting the bast$#ds win this . I envy your ability to put into words how to do this stuff , I wish I could .
Have a safe and fun trip and a Happy New Year !!!

Rollerbob

George, I've seen your work first hand and if you are willing to share then it is a win, win for all of us. Yep, including the buttheads!!

CSue

Local Chapter Leader
George, you are an amazingly gifted penmaker and teacher! I want to thank you again - and so very much - for sharing these tutorials. I've learned so much from them. I always look forward to seeing your posts. I am so very glad you are continuing to do so. You really do what you say . . . "Aspire to inspire before you expire."

BigguyZ

I'll add in my thanks for your work. I absolutely agree with your outlook as to what is the goal of sites like this one, and appreciate the time you take to contribute.

I like to think that I'm pretty crafty, but personally I usually need a nudge in the right direction as to how something is done. So tutorials such as yours are incredibly helpful.

Thanks!

Top Bottom