General 25-200 wood lathe problems

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

bgon82242

I just bought a General 25-200 lathe from Redmond machinery in Ga. The fit and finish is excellent and everything works very nicely except the variable speed controller!.....the lathe shuts off after 5-6 mins of run time and the the digital readout says "safe". I have spoken to Mr. Rich Jenkins and they have been very professional. They have sent me two new speed controller units complete, but the problem persists.

Mr. Jenkins has interceded for me with General's service dept in Canada and I am still waiting a response to my problem. It seems that this has happened to quite a few lathes of this model (25-200) and that that they have "completely reworked" the motor drive and controller system according to their Mr. Trevor Fournier, Mgr. of that dept.

If anyone else has bought this model lathe and had this problem you can contact them at trevor.fournier@general.ca

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

That kind of problem should not occur with anything. But a mini lathe in that price range should work perfectly. At this point, they should replace the entire unit with a new one that has been thoroughly tested. Personally, I would demand no less. And they should pay all shipping, both ways for old and new.

Randy_

Frank has got it exactly right.

I wonder why these lathes are being shipped without being fully tested if they have a known problem? Sounds like something only Bill Gates would do.

Very bad for customer confidence!!

pmpartain

I bought one of these about a year ago. I had the same problem. I spoke with Trevor and he said that the initial batch had the problem. They sent me a new controller and that fixed the whole thing. I like mine very much. It would be better if you didn't have to change the belt, but only the Nova and a few others hit the whole range on one set of pulleys.

twoofakind

When I bought my Jet from them they steered me away from the General because of the problems they were having with the speed controller, which I thought he said was being fixed.
Andy

bgon82242

Redmond Machinery backs up the products it sells!! I just received my new and improved General 25-200 lathe from General International in Quebec. After the serious problems I was having with that lathe sold to me through Redmond Machinery in Gergia, Mr. Jenkins of that firm was able to get that lathe replaced with the improved (New motor and controller)version of that lathe 25-200 M1. It is now, in my opinion, the BEST PENTURNING MIDI lathe on the market! I am very pleased with the follow through of both Mr. Jenkins of Redmond Machinery and General International Machinery Co. I highly recomend these companies to anyone needing to purchase Equipment, because they back up what they sell with action! Bob Gonzalez bgon82242.

Top Bottom