Gel stage....

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Skye

On average, what's your ratio of hardener/time to reach a gel stage? I'm looking at mixing some colors, but dont want to miss my window.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
Skye,

I don't make the PR, Dawn does. So, authoritative I ain't!!
But, I DO know black sets nearly instantly, red takes a couple DAYS!

So, there is no one answer to your question. (In Wi, with our temp and humidity and our exact kitchen conditions!!)

Skye

Man, you mean red as in red tint or as in red colorant? I assume you mean tint because that ads a liquid to the mix as opposed to colorant which is a dry powder.

ed4copies

Local Chapter Manager
She uses both powders and liquids - told you, I AIN'T the expert.

Her reds are to die for (pun intended). But, if I happen to move them "the morning after" they are poured, I can expect them to spill (we're talking LIQUID here).

BTW, other colors time will vary, but red is just NOT cooperative (although, with patience, it does set up and become VERY usable).

its_virgil

Skye,
There is an additive called 'gel enhancer' which makes PR go to the gel stage very quickly so that luster powders and other solid additives don't settle to the bottom. The resin gels quicly but the actual cure time is not changed.

When I (used) to use 6 drops per ounce, seems like the resin would gel in about 15-20 minutes and be hard in an hour. I've used less catalyst for so long I may have forgotten the times.

Of course, heat is the key. Ambient temperature is also a factor. The size (amount and thickness) of the pour is another factor. Thicker pours generate more heat and it dissapates slowly. Thin pours take much longer. Sometimes I pour 2 oz of resin (6 drops per ounce) onto a piece of glass and spread it out very thin....takes hours to begin to gel...maybe 6 hoours or longer...12 to 18 to get really hard and brittle.

Hope this answers your question...if not, its good info anyway.

Do a good turn daily!
Don
Originally posted by Skye
<br />On average, what's your ratio of hardener/time to reach a gel stage? I'm looking at mixing some colors, but dont want to miss my window.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom