Geepers

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Now my old electrolux vaccuum isn't working either! Should a vaccum have resistance between the two prongs on the plug?

I just wrecked my lawnmower and my tv stopped working too...I'm going to avoid using any tools in the shop for a while! :D
Yes you are reading a complete circuit if you have the switched turned on. No if switch is in off position.

I will ask you the same question on this thread. Have you had any storms come through that could have had power surges or brown outs. Capacitors are know to be culprits in either of these. Any electronics is vunerable to voltage changes. Some equipment is equiped to handle things like that. Zener diodes are used alot on small circuits to maintain voltages along with other circuit stuff. But cheaper stuff will fry. You may want to check your incoming voltage.

Last edited:

duserart

Hi maxwell,
If your electrolux is as old as mine (62 vintage model L) it might very well be the brushes. I found it hard to find replacements unless there is a good motor shop around. A replacement motor was prices at about $700 a few years ago. Good luck!

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
middle of nowhere in the great, white North
Yes you are reading a complete circuit if you have the switched turned on. No if switch is in off position.

I will ask you the same question on this thread. Have you had any storms come through that could have had power surges or brown outs. Capacitors are know to be culprits in either of these. Any electronics is vunerable to voltage changes. Some equipment is equiped to handle things like that. Zener diodes are used alot on small circuits to maintain voltages along with other circuit stuff. But cheaper stuff will fry. You may want to check your incoming voltage.
I have a whole-house surge protector rated for lightning, and the vacuum wasn't plugged in...so I'm assuming it's all coincidental.

Yes, it's old - an AP100 from the 60s or so

The brushes look good - I took it apart and they're fine. The plug shows resistance both in the on and off position of the switch, so I'm thinking the switch might be bad...

jttheclockman

I have a whole-house surge protector rated for lightning, and the vacuum wasn't plugged in...so I'm assuming it's all coincidental.

Yes, it's old - an AP100 from the 60s or so

The brushes look good - I took it apart and they're fine. The plug shows resistance both in the on and off position of the switch, so I'm thinking the switch might be bad...
Could be or the wires are shorted together somewhere. But if wires were shorted then it would trip breaker. Does it trip breaker?? If switch was bad it would still run if you are reading a circuit. Switch can either stay open or stay closed. More to it than that I am afraid. Yes it could be coincident. But a surge protector will not trip if brown out ( low voltage supplied) Motors will burn out . Surge protector will protect when power comes back up if there are surges. Could be a combination of problems. Chords on vac are notorious for failure because of the constant in and out of outlet. Many people pull the chord and not the cap. Just saying.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
If you're ever looking for some massive brushes, electrolux made some huge brushes - these look like they were meant for industrial machines. Crazy!

Just an update - took the entire thing apart - which was not fun, as the cord winder spring did not want to go back together. The vaccum motor works well when hooked up to a test plug, so the motor's fine. The cord winder had wonky resistance, so I took it apart. The contacts on the winder are fine, and resistance is as it should be. The end of the cord and on through the assembly all test fine, so I'm very much certain it's the plug end - so that's the next step.

jttheclockman

If you're ever looking for some massive brushes, electrolux made some huge brushes - these look like they were meant for industrial machines. Crazy!

Just an update - took the entire thing apart - which was not fun, as the cord winder spring did not want to go back together. The vaccum motor works well when hooked up to a test plug, so the motor's fine. The cord winder had wonky resistance, so I took it apart. The contacts on the winder are fine, and resistance is as it should be. The end of the cord and on through the assembly all test fine, so I'm very much certain it's the plug end - so that's the next step.
Now many people get terminology wrong and say plug when they mean outlet. Are you saying the outlet is bad or the male cap of the chord is bad?? The second is where I mentioned would be suspect to me because I see this alot with vacs. People tend to pull out of outlet by use of the chord as opposed to grabbing the cap. Good luck.

maxwell_smart007

Lead Moderator
Staff member
Now many people get terminology wrong and say plug when they mean outlet. Are you saying the outlet is bad or the male cap of the chord is bad?? The second is where I mentioned would be suspect to me because I see this alot with vacs. People tend to pull out of outlet by use of the chord as opposed to grabbing the cap. Good luck.
No, the outlet is fine. It's the plug that's gone bad. Looks fine, no visible damage, but there must be a frayed wire inside

Top Bottom