Gear Shift Pen - Experience ?

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

TonyL

Hi Folks:

If anyone has direct experience with these: https://www.pennstateind.com/store/gearshift-pen-kits.html

I would like to know what you think (basically: "I had no trouble with them." or "I have had trouble with them" )

I don't make many novelty pens (not that they are "bad") anymore, but a client and friend picked-up my PSI catalogue and wanted one. I thought I would ask "the greater intellect of the IAP" for their experience.

Keep in mind that I really don't sell pens to make money - so I prefer zero aggravation if I can help it.

Thank you as always!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OK-Pens

I have made a few of them with no problems, and use one my self on a daily basis. The only thing I have had a problem with, is that the cap on my own is lost so I would advise to secure it with glue.

David350

Hi Tony, I have made about a dozen of these for family and friends. I typically ask for their favorite car color and find a blank in that color and they all loved the pen. I have had no issues, it's an easy pen to make, but will second the suggestion on securing the cap.

jttheclockman

I had shown this one recently that I made for a friend. Just gave it to him a couple days ago and he liked it. It was the only one I ever made and had no trouble with it. The shifter works OK how does it hold up, for me it will be a matter of time yet. I do not make gadget pens either but this one fit the bill.

Attachments

• Copy_of_IMGP0395__1550712772_58582.jpg
    Copy_of_IMGP0395__1550712772_58582.jpg
    93.6 KB · Views: 183

duncsuss

I've made a couple, because I was using Fordite as the barrel I sanded down the couplers to make them a slip-fit and glued them in place.

IMGP7174 copy.jpg

TonyL

Thank you all very much, especially for sharing photos of your o/s work!

I just had 15% off, but I think the 3 or 4 starter pack is on sale (not that I need any more drill bits).

Thanks again! This is such a wonderful forum.

coulcd

I've made a couple. The only issue I've run into is that the gear shift knob orientation is not correct from the factory. There is a set screw inside the upper assembly that needs to be loosened and then the gear shift know can be rotated.

magpens

Personally, I don't like the Gearshift pen. . Here's the reason.

The bolt action mechanism to advance/retract the refill has 6 physical "stops" for the "activating lever or button". . In terms of function, these amount to only two effective positions : refill-advanced and refill-retracted. . There is a middle "stop" (which amounts to two "stops" because of the layout). . This middle "stop" serves no function, except as a mid-point between the other two. . These two positions for the lever/button should have been physically blocked in such a way that the lever/button could not go into these positions and just slide past them. . But ... because the lever/button CAN go into these positions, it often DOES ... and that is frustrating because they are useless positions, and allowing the lever/button to stop in these positions means that extending and retracting often becomes a two-step, or two-stop, process. . In fact, not just "often", but "nearly always".

I know, I know ... 6 positions are meant to emulate a 5 + Reverse gearshift ... but so what ... this is a pen !!

"OK, OK!", you say; "if it sells that's good." . Not for me. . Sooner, not later, the buyer is going to get sick of the hiatus between Advance and Retract.

This kit is the epitome of gimmicky pen kit design !

The 30 Caliber Bolt Action design is a great design. . This Gearshift design is just taking a good concept ridiculously too far.

Last edited:

Monty

Group Buy Coordinator

The bolt action mechanism to advance/retract the refill has 6 physical "stops" for the "activating lever or button". . In terms of function, these amount to only two effective positions : refill-advanced and refill-retracted. . There is a middle "stop" (which amounts to two "stops" because of the layout). . This middle "stop" serves no function, except as a mid-point between the other two. . These two positions for the lever/button should have been physically blocked in such a way that the lever/button could not go into these positions and just slide past them. . But ... because the lever/button CAN go into these positions, it often DOES ... and that is frustrating because they are useless positions, and allowing the lever/button to stop in these positions means that extending and retracting often becomes a two-step, or two-stop, process. . In fact, not just "often", but "nearly always".

I know, I know ... 6 positions are meant to emulate a 5 + Reverse gearshift ... but so what ... this is a pen !!

"OK, OK!", you say; "if it sells that's good." . Not for me. . Sooner, not later, the buyer is going to get sick of the hiatus between Advance and Retract.

The 30 Caliber Bolt Action design is a great design. . This Gearshift design is just taking a good concept ridiculously too far.

My personal feeling exactly. The pen needs to be completely extended or retracted.

As to the overall function, I have made a few of these per request. Have had no problems that I am aware of.

WriteON

You'll enjoy these. Great single barrel pen. Nothing negative about them. No aggravation with them. They are quite sharp looking. Well made & designed. Advancing and retracting is simple and easy. Very much appreciated gifts to car guys. I do not sell pens. Was in a jewelry shop and had one in my pocket...a person asked me for 3 and loved them. Got good $$ for them.

Attachments

• 33B224A6-B1BE-4AA0-9B37-2D2ECA00885D.jpg
    33B224A6-B1BE-4AA0-9B37-2D2ECA00885D.jpg
    349 KB · Views: 118
Last edited:

WriteON

I had shown this one recently that I made for a friend. Just gave it to him a couple days ago and he liked it. It was the only one I ever made and had no trouble with it. The shifter works OK how does it hold up, for me it will be a matter of time yet. I do not make gadget pens either but this one fit the bill.

Nice looking Gear. The shifter holds up great. Unless it's severely abused there is no reason for failure. No twists, no clicks. Advance and lock up. I sold a few and gifted a few. I provided a single pen stand with a lug nut glued to the base. I'm now certain peoples best friend.
Here's before the lug nut was glued. The flag went to a friend in Texas...we belonged to a car club together. Sorry about the pictures.

Attachments

• IMG_5482.jpg
    IMG_5482.jpg
    202 KB · Views: 105
  • IMG_4093.jpg
    IMG_4093.jpg
    61 KB · Views: 115
Last edited:
I have made quite a few and have sold many as well. Very neat pen for someone who prefers the novelty over the slight impracticality of the mechanism.

WriteON

My personal feeling exactly. The pen needs to be completely extended or retracted.

As to the overall function, I have made a few of these per request. Have had no problems that I am aware of.

Guys...Do you drive a 5 or 6 speed? This pen is an absolute great novelty pen for those that do. The clip is a pry bar. It has wheels and tires on it. The Gear is first class cool and a great conversation piece. As for it can only be only advanced or retracted? Every pen I have is either fully advanced, retracted or fixed. I love this pen... I think it needs a clutch

turncrazy43

Tony, I have made and sold several of these pens. They are easy to assemble and none have had problems. The thing I noticed is that PSI offers them in several metal finishes. However, I grew up in the muscle car era and don't recall any wheels and trim in antique brass, gun metal or antique pewter. Chrome is the one I recall the most. All of the ones I made and sold were done in chrome and I believe are the most true to the era. Good luck with yours.
Turncrazy43

TonyL

Thank you all. In general, they sound no more prone to problems than other kits. I am going to buy the 4 pack. Thanks again!

WriteON

Thank you all. In general, they sound no more prone to problems than other kits. I am going to buy the 4 pack. Thanks again!

If for any reason you do not like them (but you will) I'll gladly buy what you do not use.

Top Bottom