Gear Shift Antique Pewter Rhinoplastic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from TonyL

TonyL

I made this at the request of the client. I think it is a decent kit. I did add a drop of red LT to the screws that secure the clip. I have had them loosen on similarly clipped kits. Actually, the clip arrived loose.

It takes majestic squire bushings. It is a nice pewter. It is my horrific picture taking skills that make this look bronze.

Attachments

• grear shift arlester.jpg
    grear shift arlester.jpg
    132.6 KB · Views: 300
Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Nice pen Tony. Is the clip a source of problems that is known. I just sent one out to a friend recently and did not notice it. I may have to make him aware of it if it becomes a problem and ask to have it back so I can fix it. Will check in the future for this. I hate when these manufactures can't make a decent pen kit without all these moving parts. That is one reason I hate gimmick pens.

TonyL

That is one reason I hate gimmick pens.

I am with you (unless a client insists :)). I do warn them, Some clients say that is going to be displayed, not used. At least, this can be "cured" somewhat. The rest of the parts included the BA transmission seemed well-made. A third of my sales/request are novelty pens. None have come back, but that doesn't mean all are still operating properly.

Thanks for the replies.

Very nice pen Tony as is the photo. Have to agree with JT, I'm not into the gimmick pens and fortunately haven't been asked to make any. Although they do seem to sell well. My "novelty" pens center more around the wood than the actual pen. I guess I kinda got it easy in that respect.

WriteON

Nice Gear Tony. Nice combo choice. For the past few years I only bought and made novelty pens. Never had a problem or return.... except for the Shock Absorber Pen. Novelty Pens...I enjoy making, gifting, selling, donating to fund raisers. They are a great approach to pen turning. They help keep the hobby flowing. Not for everyone but nothing negative about them.

Ironwood

Looks good Tony. Thanks for the tip on the clip. I don't have any of this particular kit, but I do have 2 unused kits in the drawer with that style clip.

TonyL

Thank you and you are welcome. The Bolt-tec also has a clip that can loosen. I only knew to add the red loc-tite because the clip arrived loose.

Rhino and acrylster are my favorite materials in the non-wood category. I used to despise acrylester because I didn't know how tp turn it. I just bought 6 more sticks yesterday.

...Rhino and acrylster are my favorite materials in the non-wood category. I used to despise acrylester because I didn't know how tp turn it. I just bought 6 more sticks yesterday.

I like the acrylester blanks too, those are the other ones I buy besides tru-stone. I blew a few of the acrylester blanks apart learning how to turn them but it was worth the effort, they shine up as good as anything else out there.

Top Bottom