Gavel

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Magicbob

Magicbob

A good friend and brother of my lodge is Grand Master of Masons in Ohio, he will preside over the Grand Lodge proceedings this weekend.
When he was appointed to the Grand line a number of years ago, I asked his brother to get me a piece of wood from their father's farm so I could make him a gavel. I got 2 two ft long pieces of 4x4 last Tuesday, with the following story.
The wood was beams in a barn that had been built by O. C. Barber (The founder of Barberton, OH) over 100 years ago. The barn had been moved to the family farm many years ago.....Cool, historic wood.

It was black and hard as the hinges of hell, my 2 HP 12" belt drive table saw could not rip it. The saw even stalled trying to cut the corners off.

As it turned it revealed a beautiful oak. But even with the sharpest tools it wanted to tear more than cut, so no beads. I patterned the head after a traditional setting mall. the handle was a little more forgiving, and took a bead or two.
CA finish all over, except the face which is plain BLO. I wrapped the grip with leather. I imbedded his theme lapel pin in the tail end.

The sounder is a piece of the 4x4 left natural.

I present it to him tomorrow.

Comments welcome

Attachments

• gav1.jpg
    gav1.jpg
    137.4 KB · Views: 183
  • gav2.jpg
    gav2.jpg
    124.3 KB · Views: 164
  • gav3.jpg
    gav3.jpg
    120.9 KB · Views: 199
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Magicbob

Thanks, I gave it to him Tuesday night, he loved it.....Grand Lodge Sessions will open tomorrow morning and he will be using this gavel.

Magicbob

Today he used the gavel at Grand Lodge sessions, I spoke with him after, he said. " The first time he used it he thought it was going to break the table."
So, a big room, over 600 men, and it spoke with authority, I'm happy.
Plus I have been asked to make one for the state president of The Widow's Sons, a Masonic motorcycle riding association. This one will be very cool, for the handle I am using a Harley Davidson connecting rod and turning a head that will be blind mounted through the big end. I can't wait and I will post photos

Tom T

Glad it went well in real use. It look great. Thank you for the update.
Do not forget to post the next one. It sounds very cool, connecting rod and all.

Fishinbo

Great looking gavel with a great story behind. Like the unique shape and nice finish. It will serve well your friend. Great job and looking forward to the next one.

Top Bottom