Gave Leather a Try

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from mbroberg

mbroberg

IAP Activities Manager, Emeritus
I bummed some scraps off of a leather tooling friend of mine and tried a leather blank. I didn't have quite enough to go the whole length of the tube so I added some pick guard. I think it would have looked better without the pick guard, but it is what it is. I'll be giving this back to my friend as a bribe for more scraps.

C & C welcome.

View in Gallery

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mbroberg

Thank you all. I wasn't too unhappy with my 1st attempt at leather. I just think it would have looked better without the red accents.

leehljp

Member Liaison
It has been a loong while since I saw anyone post leather. That looks GREAT!

I go to a leather shop in Springfield MO on occasion visiting my daughter and they have all kinds and some real thick leather too. Surely Columbus has a leather shop to get some for more. I think there just might be lots of pens just waiting to get dressed in leather after seeing yours! :biggrin:

its_virgil

Nice job Mike. I like your color choices, arrangement and thicknesses. These are fun to make and produce a unique pen. I've made a few...need to make another or two. Thanks for sharing.
Do a good turn daily!
Don

Yankee Remedy

Something different. I like it!

I assume that would still be called stacked leather and is probably is done the same way a stacked leather knife handle is made.

I like the pic guard also. When you see the high end knives with stacked leather handles they always have different color spacers usually by the guard and pommel, but sometimes in the middle too.

mbroberg

Again, Thank you for all the kind words. I considered entering it in a contest at the MPG, but decided against it due to the pick guard. Perhaps I should have. :rolleyes:

That's very nice, Mike !! . I think the red adds a lot of appeal.

How did you finish it ?

Mal, I occasionally soaked the leather with thin CA throughout the turning process. When it was where I wanted it I applied only 2 coats of medium CA, attempting to maintain some of the leathrey (is that a word? Oh well, you probably know what I mean :biggrin:) feel and texture. I lightly sanded with Abronet starting at 320 up to 600.

I assume that would still be called stacked leather and is probably is done the same way a stacked leather knife handle is made.

I know nothing about making knife handles, but yes, the leather is stacked onto the tube.

Mr Vic

Looks great Mike.

I did one a few years back for someone here who cut up his old belt after great weight loss. He didn't ant to try himself. Thought he would have posted it after sent it back complete but oh well. It had aluminum inserts similar to what you did.

Woodchipper

Chiming in a bit late but the pen looks great. The red contrasts with the leather and, IMHO, complements the leather. Looking a doing some pens with leather. The wife got some leather scraps at Hobby Lobby yesterday. Another source for leather would be a show repair shop. We have one in town- get some leather scraps and make a pen for him as payment.
Thanks for the "tutorial" for your method.

mbroberg

Nice job, Mike, looks great! Did you drill holes in it first? That sounds like a challenge in itself . Or did you build a blank, then drill it?

Glenn, I was looking back through some old threads and see that you asked a question that I never saw. I cut the leather into squares and used a 3/8" leather punch to punch the holes. I then stacked the leather squares onto the tube, gluing with CA as I went.

Top Bottom