Gaboon Ebony Haul

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

Boss302

I was at a local hardwood supply store this week and they had a large bin of Gaboon Ebony cuts off with a lot of those being pen blank and bottle stopper blank size. $7.00 a pound sounded like a lot but even though the wood is very dense it weights out pretty well. The pic is 8 pounds of Ebony for $56.00. This type of Ebony is jet black and turns well and appears extremely dry. For me it's always more fun to pick through the wood yourself and get exactly what you want.

Pat

2007141562_100_1993%20(Small).jpg

20071415640_100_1898_edited%20(Small).jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Rifleman1776

Too bad your pictures didn't post.
Even though it may feel dry, be very cautious.
They cut, coat in wax and ship. Ebony (real ebony) takes a long time to dry thoroughly. That is why you see so many sad references here to beautiful pens cracking after they have been made or in use for a couple months.

airrat

Originally posted by arioux
<br />Looks more like pure white holly than ebony to me![:eek:)]

Sorry, could not resist

Alfred

On my screen I think I see the end of the blanks. Can see an outline and some type of color/grain in the center.[:D][:eek:)]

Boss302

You guys are funny. If it was Holly I would have just sent a blank screen. Let's give this another try and if I mess it up, I'll wait for round two on the jokes.

20071573926_EbonyBlanks.jpg
<br />

20071574021_EbonyCigar.jpg
<br />

ilikewood

That looks like a pretty good deal....current Gaboon Ebony prices range in the $75-$100 per board foot and it looks like you picked up a bit more than 1 bf.

Mark4583

Nice looking Pen, I have some also but I havent been able to decide what Pen I want to make from it, That Cigar looks good, is that the Black-Titanium?
What other Pens look good in Ebony?

Boss302

It's a Black Titanium Cigar but I like Ebony with Chrome or any other silver type finish. I like the contrast bewteen the dark wood and the silver color. I've done a few gold plated Ebony pens and they look good too. Like anything else, it comes down to personal preference.

Pat

ilikewood

I agree with the personal preference item....Many people I know like Ebony with Gold.

BTW Pat, Mine is a 1965 289 HiPerformance with original disk brakes, not the Boss302.[;)]

Boss302

289 HiPo is a great engine--coupe or fastback? Since I started making pens, I stopped driving the Boss. It's been sitting for a year waiting for me to put in a fuel pump (30 minute job). Any extra money I have goes into pens. I guess you can say I'm hooked on pens, although I still like all muscle cars.

20071634831_boss302b.jpg

ilikewood

SWWWEEETTT (as Napolean would say). Mines been in my garage for 18 years now. Pens didn't stop me from working on it, but marriage sure did. Kids put the icing on the cake.

Coupe, and I'm third owner....still have the original order form for it.

Never was much of a Ford man.. My hot wheels was a 1964 Corvette Stingray, 327 cu.in., with Holly AFB and rated at 365 HP.. Silver with removable hard top... after it was stolen at the SFO airport, replaced with a Maroon 1965, 327 with soft top.
Traded it for a VW, Wife and daughter when I got married in 1970... shoulda kept the car..

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom