Fundraising Success

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Dehn0045

I have always primarily given away pens, only ever selling to friends and family that want to give them as gifts -- I pretty much only charge material costs. I have tried to sell a couple as fundraisers for various causes with marginal success. I was actually a little disappointed with a silent auction when one of the pens didn't even sell, but c'est la vie. Anyway, this week I learned that a friend from high school has a daughter that was recently diagnosed with leukemia. I decided to offer my collection of pens to my coworkers in exchange for a donation to my friends gofundme. I started with an email to all my coworkers (total of people 72 in the company) with pictures of 4 pens, I ended up exchanging 9 pens for $660 in donations, in 2 days. I think it only stopped because I ran out of pens. I may have "undercharged" a little, but I think everyone came out feeling good about it, so I'm happy with it. This has really gotten me into the Christmas spirit, and really re-energized me about penturning. I'm looking forward to getting ready for next year!

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Sam, that is wonderful. I'm with you on the donating and selling for materials if the insist.

If you run across any more fundraisers, PM me. I have 20 for "The Troops" to do in January, but then I'll be looking for another. I have a zillion blanks, and ample kits, so these are fun. All my relatives, their spouses, their kids, their kids kids, their dogs, their neighbors, their neighbors dog... have pens, and I just like turning - so more fundraisers would be welcome.

Brotherdale

What a great idea. I am the same about selling my pens, only to family and friends.
I have a granddaughter that is almost 2. Due to a traumatic birth she has brain damage and cerebral palsy. My daughter did a go fund me once for a need that wasn't covered by insurance.
Since I have 10-15 pens laying around at any given time, I could see doing this.
Thanks for sharing this idea.

Top Bottom