fun with resin

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
Status
Not open for further replies.

darbytee

I haven't had too much time in the shop lately but I have found the time to play with some layered resins. I think the red, white and blue one is going to be my first full size gent's. This resin casting is really addictive (and so are the fumes). I'm sure I kill off a dozen or so brain cells every time I mix up a batch. Unfortunately I don't have too many to spare.[:p]Sorry for the picture quality but you get the general idea.

20056223516_stripes.jpg

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

coach

I'd like to see them when they are turned. This has got the ol' head thinking. My question will be. Will you turn so far down that some of the colors disapear? Very good idea though! Keep us posted. I think you are on to something.

Deere41h

Hey Fred, I can't wait to see how some of that turns out....You have to post pictures. That looks like fun. What are you using for dyes or pigments?

JimGo

Fred, some of those might make some really cool turned pen holders and such. Did you see the glued up vase in Wood Turning Design?

alamocdc

Fred, those look cool, but I'm thinking from the size of the blocks and layers you might need to cut some on a bias to keep all of the colors in the pen. Especially the R,W &B. Just thinking out loud.[:D]

53Jim

I did something similar to what you're trying to do. When I cut my blocks of PR into blank sized pieces I always ended up with a piece about 3/8" thick.

I took several of those 3/8" thick pieces and glued them together, cut on the bias, and made out of them. The result was better than I expected, but not as nice as it could have been.

Tha PR stuff is almost as addicting as the pen turning itself, ain't it???[;)]

Good luck, and post some pictures.

darbytee

Thanks for all the comments.

Coach and Billy, I tried to set it up so that I wouldn't lose any of the colors when I turned them. The R,W, and B one has the widest stripes but it was designed for a full size pen. Cutting on a bias might be the way to do it.

Michael, I would have loved to turn them all today but my boss had a different idea.[:D]

dscott, I just poured the layers individually, waiting for the bottom layer to start to harden before I poured the next layer on top of it.

Jim, yes it is absolutely addictive.

I'm gonna try to get at least one of these turned tonight. I'll post the results, good or bad, when I'm done. See ya later.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom