Fun filled day of learning...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from Brooks803

Brooks803

Today was a long, hot, yet very fun day. I had over a few fellow pen nuts to go over making a custom pen with. Aaron (Airbear77), his buddy Josh (sorry, I'm not sure if he's a member here or not!), and my buddy Tyson (Jyreene). Aaron contacted me to see if he could come down and get a first hand look (look...yeah, right. I put him to work!) at making a custom FP. He was more than eager to jump right in and he did a great job! We all spent the whole day in the shop. It got in the upper 90's today, but thankfully we had low humidity.

I told Aaron to go pick out a blank from my bin and here's what we ended up finishing today. He did most of the work. I showed how to do the initial threading on the front section and he took over from there. We had just enough daylight left to get a few pics before they had to hit the road.

DSC04795 (580x700).jpg DSC04803 (526x700).jpg DSC04797 (620x700).jpg DSC04800 (700x386).jpg

It was great meeting you Aaron and Josh. Yall are all welcome to come back any time!

Oh yeah...let's not forget what we had for lunch! :eat:

Babyback Ribs, Pork Loin, Jalapeno & Sweet Pepper Poppers, and Sweet Potato Fries! Fresh off the smoker (although this pic was about an hour from being done). I owe Tyson a HUGH thank you for helping me get all the food prepped this morning!

Last edited:
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

MikeL

Great looking pen. Nice to have people willing to mentor. I thought I smelled some good cooking as I traveled from Ashville on I26 to Pawleys island today.

If ever was an enjoyable post it is this one, for me.... I could almost hear the sounds of the lathe and the learning wheels turning in the shop... but the sight of that beautiful finished pen and the delightful food was the topper.

OZturner

That is truly one of the Supreme Joys of Pen Turning, Jonathon.

Getting a few keen eager turners over, to share experiences, to do some work, to learn new techniques, partake and share exceptional Food, and perhaps a beverage or two.

The result of the day, apart from devouring half a Boar, was the creation of a Fantastic Pen.

A Superb Blank,
Great Profile, Proportions and Lines.
Outstanding Fit and Finish and Craftsmanship.

Especially brilliant is the Image of "Three Amigos" visible in the reflection of the Clip.

Shame I live too far away.
Brian.

Brooks803

Wow Jonathon, another great pen and awesome food too! Looks like that new grill is getting a workout.

Thanks Mike! I love my new grill :biggrin:. Yall will have to come back down soon and I'll cook something up for everyone.

Dammit man,I just got done having a snack.Now I have to get another.Pics like that will make a feller fat.

Nice pen Aaron, the fit and turning look great.

lol...trust me...it's not just the pics that'll make ya fat :tongue:. Never trust a skinny chef :biggrin:

Uh....whatcha doin next Saturday? :) Only half kidding, one day after I see your demo about 4 more times

Sounds like good food, fellowship and turning. Good times!!

Great pen BTW Aaron! You should be proud

Come on out Warren. I'm sure there will be something on the grill next weekend. Got a spare bed if ya need it.

Man I can't thank you enough. I had a ball making that pen, food was awesome, company was great. Good times! I have to go to bed now....... We just got home. Thanks a million. I owe you one. Aaron

Anytime Aaron. Glad yall made it back safely. Enjoy the pen and I'll keep my phone charged for those questions when you go to make one on your own :biggrin:

Band Saw Box

Passed Away Dec 8, 2021
In Memoriam
That pen a real beauty, well done. and the spread you have look really good as well, a great way to spend a day. Thanks for sharing.

Top Bottom