Full size Majestic

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

jttheclockman

Disappointment happened today. I have a unique pen blank I am working on and there are elements in it I never tried before so anxious to get done. But I made the cap end for a second time not long ago after the first one I messed up trying to get plugs out tube. I might as well explain this one in that it may save someone some problems also. I am using Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin if that means anything to anyone. I got the top plug out easily but the bottom plug was a bear. I have done this many times before and no problems but I cleaned the plug so no resin was holding it back. I went to push the plug out from top of blank using a large transfer punch as I have done numerous times. But this plug just did not give up and I pushed even harder and then it popped out. The disappoint thing and what ruined the blank was as I pushed the plug I must have expanded the tube inside and when it did come out the tube relaxed and the resin separated from the wrap that was around the tube. Needless to say a few choice words appeared. Never did get to turn it down and wish I had because it may have revealed my next problem. So I make a whole new blank and all looks great. Go to turn it down today and I hit a component that was adhered to blank. Now I always take the time to set the tubes in a blank after I build it and run a straightedge all around the tube looking for any high spots that are higher than bushing. I did not see any at the time. But somehow I must have missed one and sure enough that was end of that blank. So I am in process of building blank #3 for this pen and sticking with the majestic full size because the lower blank took alot of time to build. I am hoping nothing goes wrong with that one. I may spin that down before I waste time building this third cap try. If that fails then all plans are off and I move on. My point here is just because the majestic is a huge kit there is little room for clear casting on with out making huge bulges and stay away from ends. Lesson learned. I believe the JR has more meat to do things. OK my rant is over.

KenB259

Disappointment happened today. I have a unique pen blank I am working on and there are elements in it I never tried before so anxious to get done. But I made the cap end for a second time not long ago after the first one I messed up trying to get plugs out tube. I might as well explain this one in that it may save someone some problems also. I am using Liquid Diamonds epoxy resin if that means anything to anyone. I got the top plug out easily but the bottom plug was a bear. I have done this many times before and no problems but I cleaned the plug so no resin was holding it back. I went to push the plug out from top of blank using a large transfer punch as I have done numerous times. But this plug just did not give up and I pushed even harder and then it popped out. The disappoint thing and what ruined the blank was as I pushed the plug I must have expanded the tube inside and when it did come out the tube relaxed and the resin separated from the wrap that was around the tube. Needless to say a few choice words appeared. Never did get to turn it down and wish I had because it may have revealed my next problem. So I make a whole new blank and all looks great. Go to turn it down today and I hit a component that was adhered to blank. Now I always take the time to set the tubes in a blank after I build it and run a straightedge all around the tube looking for any high spots that are higher than bushing. I did not see any at the time. But somehow I must have missed one and sure enough that was end of that blank. So I am in process of building blank #3 for this pen and sticking with the majestic full size because the lower blank took alot of time to build. I am hoping nothing goes wrong with that one. I may spin that down before I waste time building this third cap try. If that fails then all plans are off and I move on. My point here is just because the majestic is a huge kit there is little room for clear casting on with out making huge bulges and stay away from ends. Lesson learned. I believe the JR has more meat to do things. OK my rant is over.
Looking at the BushNTubes app, it looks like there's only about .053 clearance, without bulging out the upper barrel. Doable, but considering whatever you're embedding, there's not a lot of wiggle room. But hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.

jttheclockman

Looking at the BushNTubes app, it looks like there's only about .053 clearance, without bulging out the upper barrel. Doable, but considering whatever you're embedding, there's not a lot of wiggle room. But hey, if it was easy, everyone would be doing it.
That is the point. No wiggle room. I will try one more time to see what I can do. But learned a lessen that this is not a kit for cast-on objects unless just decals. I will have to add some bulge but hopefully very minimal. I did turn the lower barrel and that too I added a slight bulge but noticed the lower bushing are of 2 different sizes. Now I have had a blank made up for quite some time sitting on the workbench that I planned the Majestic full size also but that is mainly a segmented blank. Because of the segmentation design I wanted a larger barrel so I do not turn away most of the design. Will be interesting. Stay tuned.

I should have learned a few things back when I did this one but guess I did not. Oh well.
Copy of IMGP0010.JPG

Last edited:
Top Bottom