From the past

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

What do you miss? I miss record stores. From 50's to the 90's one of my favorite things was going into a record store to look and buy. From 45's to CD's. (LP's cassettes, 8 tracks). 45's were around $.49. I think my first LP cost $1.99. It was in HI-FI mono. Gone baby gone...Missed but loved the times.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

I miss going to the public library to look at and borrow the "How To" books .... yes, BOOKS ! .... well-written books !!

The "Boy Mechanic" series was particularly cherished. . ... '30s, '40s, '50s ... I have, in later years, acquired decent copies of the whole set.

Now, who do I pass them along to ? . Things have changed so, so much but I still love flipping those pages and remembering.

There were so many ideas shared in that way ... ideas that spawned useful, interesting and fun projects.

And also .... monthly copies of the magazines "Science and Mechanics", "Popular Mechanics", etc. ... with really interesting & useful content.

I also miss my uncle's '57 Chevy, with room for our 2 families for short rides to the beach on Sundays ... with no seat belts !!!

John Eldeen

There is definitely something about flipping thought the pages that can't be replaced by scrolling on my phone. I also miss riding in the pickup bed on a nice day.

leehljp

Member Liaison
1. A Good Yellow Pages book;
2. Real Milk, Normal size chicken eggs that would be "giant" in today's terms!
3. Bread when it was real Bread!
4. FRESH from the garden foods and Fresh Meat.
5. The smell of "new ground" being plowed with a wisp of diesel smoke!
6. Civics, History!
7. REAL Japanese / Chinese / Korean food!

jttheclockman

I miss my younger body. I didn't wake up with aches and pains. Lol
Heck I have to see one of my doctors Monday and one of his first questions will be how do you feel??? It has gotten so that I do not know any more. Not sure if I hurt more or less. Just keep blocking out the aches and pains and every year there are more of them. I too miss the younger me.

MRDucks2

People sitting on the front porch and other people stopping to visit unannounced.
Everyone loading into the back of the pickup and heading down the road.
Grabbing a bar of soap and everyone heading to the creek to wash off after a day of hauling hay.
Sleeping in the barn in the fall because the air was cool and the hay was warm.
Everyone leaving their house and their vehicles unlocked and not being worried.
5 & Dime stores with huge selections of candy in bins, boxes and jars.

I actually miss ve5ry little from the past... I don't think I would want to go back and through life again... just keep looking forward to the future.
It sometimes bothers me that people keep looking back to the past at what was and not forward to what can be.

WriteON

It sometimes bothers me that people keep looking back to the past at what was and not forward to what can be.
Just drifting a little. I love the present. I love today. Life has definitely changed. A lot of incompetence. Has been that way for a while and getting worse. Yes to yesterday's gone but were just having fun here. I miss old FM radio when in Phila. Radio stinks today

jttheclockman

I actually miss ve5ry little from the past... I don't think I would want to go back and through life again... just keep looking forward to the future.
Looking to the future is a little shocking and daunting for what is going on in the world. Always good to look back at much simplier times in our lives and reflect to how we got to where we are today. Vast improvements in technology and everyday items makes things seem simpler but tomorrow they too will look ancient. We can still learn much from the past.

Looking to the future is a little shocking and daunting for what is going on in the world. Always good to look back at much simplier times in our lives and reflect to how we got to where we are today. Vast improvements in technology and everyday items makes things seem simpler but tomorrow they too will look ancient. We can still learn much from the past.
May be a little daunting, but we have an opportunity to change what's coming for the better... what happens today doesn't have to be what happens tomorrow. And you are right that we can learn from the past, both the good and the bad... but tomorrow is a new day and will be what we make of it.

Fun and especially the food (haha). The sound system was everything but hi-tech. Ever take one home ?

Almost got one one time. I caught it right before it probably broke the window. My girlfriend, now my wife, caught it and yelled at me. Scared the crap outta me, her yelling, but after more than 45 years of marriage to her I've gotten used to the screamingo_O. As for the food, the popcorn was always outstanding, loved it!

WriteON

Missed. Simple pleasures like a world class Jazz Festival. The best of times with Phila music.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    309.7 KB · Views: 82
Top Bottom