From the ashes...

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from needadistraction

Wood...with a story.
Just outside of Boston in Wakefield, Ma., a 150 year old church was quickly destroyed recently by fire due to a lightning strike. I was able to secure a brace from what I believe, based on to the area from which it was recovered, to be part of the steeple which had been removed by crane earlier in the day. The challenge with the pen was to not only turn it on just the right bias so that some of the char remained yet faded towards the tip but that it could be stabilized enough to be relatively durable. A buddy hammered out a spike into a letter opener. The iron spikes were only slightly removed from being pure cast iron which doesn't like to be forged, thus the epoxy filled cracks. The set will be sent off to the congregation as a gift.
OK, the corny part. I wanted the char to be present on the pen but as the minority of the surface, as the fire was only a small part of the church's history. The char under the pen clip? When worn in the shirt pocket, the fresh wood, the new beginning, is towards the heart, not the reminder of the devastation.

Attachments

• digitalphoto2008baptist-church1.jpg
    digitalphoto2008baptist-church1.jpg
    91.6 KB · Views: 184
  • PH-102309974.jpg
    PH-102309974.jpg
    256.2 KB · Views: 248
  • brace.jpg
    brace.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 250
  • FirePenComposite_edited-1.jpg
    FirePenComposite_edited-1.jpg
    214.8 KB · Views: 373
  • opener.jpg
    opener.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 260
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

Xel

Maybe corny, but I really enjoyed the story behind the composition of the charred bit. It's evocative that the cross on the clip is in the blackest part. Well done indeed.

moke

As a professional photographer my whole life, we always like to incorporate a portrait that
"tells a story"....this is very well done, especially the orientation of the blank, with the stronger part to the nib and the charred portion at the top under the cross. Very well done, my guess is you will get more requests for that pen!!

Top Bottom