From sour lemons to sweet apples (I hope)

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

OKLAHOMAN

Well after putting this off for months I finally did it this morning. I awoke to my less than a year old All in one Dell PC on the fritz again, could not get on the net and had a pop-up telling me both Fire Fox and Explorer were infected and I needed to buy....well you know a scam but still I needed to clean up the PC, took it to my PC man and he'll charge me $75 AGAIN:mad: and I'll be without it a day or two. Thank goodness I have a back up PC and two lap tops. But My back up PC is not programmed to the 2 Dymo printers I use for labels. I know , I know it won't take long to find the disk and install them but this is a pain in the a$$ , as I have better things to do that once every two to three months to change computers, & get one fixed so today I ordered from Amazon a new Apple iMac MD094LL/A 21.5-Inch Desktop (NEWEST VERSION) and if it is as easy to learn as I've been told next week I'll order a new laptop. I''ll then have my almost year old Dells hard drive cleaned and all my stuff erased and sell it cheap.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

walshjp17

I have had no regrets after switching from a PC to a MacBook Air five years ago. I still have the Air and now a four-year old MacBook Pro. My wife has a iMac.

While Macs are certainly susceptible to malware, they are less likely to get infected for a variety of reasons including the always-on firewall and the sandboxing techniques used in OS X. As a former chief information security office for a F-500 company, nothing bothers me more than intrusive malware and an OS not built on secure principles. Our Macs and safe surfing practices have solved our malware woes.

I hope you have as much luck with your new iMac as we have had with our Macs.

monark88

I switched to Ubuntu 3 years ago, when I got tired of buying antivirus (Norton, for one) software, for Windows systems over the years. Since going to Ubuntu(which is a free download) I have had not a single problem. So far, it seems no one is writing virus' for Ubuntu, as there are many doing so for Windows.

The downside is there are some programs that will not run on Ub. But its been a heck of a lot cheaper, by not having to deal with virus problems.

I have been told there is a possibility that one might be able to run both O.Systems on the same computer. I tried this, but did not have the expertise to load both up correctly and make them work side by side.

Russ

wiset1

My MacBook Pro has been a champ for years while my wife has been through two laptops already (Dell & HP). There's a small learning curve switching over and dealing with non-mac programs you once used, but you'll be happy with your purchase! Welcome to the other side

Revs

My netbook runs Xubuntu, an Ubuntu variant for smaller hard drives, and my kids run LinuxMint. Only reason I have Windows is I play a couple online games that don't like Linux. They can be ran, but its a pain to set them up. Never had a Mac. Might look into a small laptop for work, though.

Well after putting this off for months I finally did it this morning. I awoke to my less than a year old All in one Dell PC on the fritz again, could not get on the net and had a pop-up telling me both Fire Fox and Explorer were infected and I needed to buy....well you know a scam but still I needed to clean up the PC, took it to my PC man and he'll charge me $75 AGAIN:mad:

Sorry you're having problems with your Dell.... even though I don't really like mine, I've been working on the same Dell since I left Houston about 9 years ago.... it's better now since I finally found some one who had an idea of what I was talking about, but mine used to sound like a Cessna about to take off... local PC repairman said it was probably my fans on the power supply and gave me a bottle of oil... he said one drop in the fan bearings should help...that was 2 or 3 years back and it's still running on that one drop of oil.... now I have 7 ounces of oil (less one drop) waiting until I need it again.

I switched to Ubuntu 3 years ago, when I got tired of buying antivirus (Norton, for one) software, for Windows systems over the years. Since going to Ubuntu(which is a free download) I have had not a single problem. So far, it seems no one is writing virus' for Ubuntu, as there are many doing so for Windows.

The downside is there are some programs that will not run on Ub. But its been a heck of a lot cheaper, by not having to deal with virus problems.

I have been told there is a possibility that one might be able to run both O.Systems on the same computer. I tried this, but did not have the expertise to load both up correctly and make them work side by side.

Russ

I use Unbutu to clean my pc when I got a little virus a few years back... have threatened several times to just switch to it... I don't play games on my computer, and the linux base is really stable. (My son tells me this... he's a programer and pretty knowledgeable - though he doesn't like to long distance computer maintenance.)

Top Bottom