From Dog Treat To Pen

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad
See more from KenB259

KenB259

The title says it all[emoji846] My dog wasn't happy about this but I'm happy and I'm the alpha dog so all is well. Dog chew was $3.99 at our local dept store. Pen kit is GT Knurl with gun metal plating. I have heard that antler ,and the like is dangerous to breath the dust so I was very diligent and wore my respirator during it all. Wasn't sure about how to finish so I just went with tried and true CA.

Sent from my iPhone using Penturners.org mobile app

Attachments

• Image1603054074.929441.jpg
    Image1603054074.929441.jpg
    933 KB · Views: 300
  • IMG_2093.JPG
    IMG_2093.JPG
    290.5 KB · Views: 348
  • IMG_2094.JPG
    IMG_2094.JPG
    258.8 KB · Views: 294
  • IMG_2092.JPG
    IMG_2092.JPG
    281.2 KB · Views: 350
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

magpens

You used WHAT ?

Gonna hafta try that !!

And your thing about the GT Knurl ...... !!!!!

Cool idea. I was thinking of trying the antler dog bone route until I caught a whiff of one. Holy Cow!!! it stunk so bad that I'm pretty sure it would have gagged a pole cat (not sure what a pole cat is but I heard it growing up). Really nice looking pen and I commend you on being so inventive.

KenB259

Cool idea. I was thinking of trying the antler dog bone route until I caught a whiff of one. Holy Cow!!! it stunk so bad that I'm pretty sure it would have gagged a pole cat (not sure what a pole cat is but I heard it growing up). Really nice looking pen and I commend you on being so inventive.

I was worried about the smell, but it wasn't really too bad. Just a little like burning hair and it was not overpowering. I think a pole cat is a skunk, but don't quote me on that.

Joebobber

Is it cheaper than the horn rods? I've never seen water buffalo horn chew toys that's awesome! You want stink? Try a pronghorn antelope! They are the worst! I helped out at a taxidermy shop in my early twenties and they were by far the worst...

KenB259

Is it cheaper than the horn rods? I've never seen water buffalo horn chew toys that's awesome! You want stink? Try a pronghorn antelope! They are the worst! I helped out at a taxidermy shop in my early twenties and they were by far the worst...

I seen them at Amazon for 13 plus 7 shipping. This was 3.99. Just something I seen and thought why not give it a shot. It really did turn out nice. One side looks like a feather, other 3 sides are pretty much just black.

Never had the chance to hunt them, all draw in Montana. But...I've heard that they really stink. I did shoot a skunk a couple of years ago and it stunk so bad I thought it would never end. Finally had to get a "covid" mask on, wiped down with some essential oils and moved it down the road a bit. But you could smell it for probably a month or so.

turnit2020

I think your choice of CA finish is the correct one. It keeps skin oils from discoloring the antler or horn with use. Works really well for deer antler that is lighter in color. Love your pen. The cost of the horn was sure reasonable and now you have some left over for additional beautiful Knurl pens. Nice work.
Turncrazy43

qquake

Please forgive me for being so presumptuous, but the photos were so dark I edited them. Now I can see some of the detail in the horn. It looks very nice!

Attachments

• buffalo00.JPG
    buffalo00.JPG
    648.4 KB · Views: 152
  • buffalo01.JPG
    buffalo01.JPG
    159.6 KB · Views: 161
  • buffalo02.JPG
    buffalo02.JPG
    179.4 KB · Views: 175
  • buffalo03.JPG
    buffalo03.JPG
    196.8 KB · Views: 166

Bob in SF

Great!

Ken said: "I'm the alpha dog so all is well"

Dog may have said: "This betrayal has caused me to rethink the concept of dog's best friend - wondering if I can re-purpose his lathe"

Hoping it ends well.

KenB259

Great!

Ken said: "I'm the alpha dog so all is well"

Dog may have said: "This betrayal has caused me to rethink the concept of dog's best friend - wondering if I can re-purpose his lathe"

Hoping it ends well.
Nah, she's a little sweetheart :)

Doctor G

The title says it all[emoji846] My dog wasn't happy about this but I'm happy and I'm the alpha dog so all is well. Dog chew was $3.99 at our local dept store. Pen kit is GT Knurl with gun metal plating. I have heard that antler ,and the like is dangerous to breath the dust so I was very diligent and wore my respirator during it all. Wasn't sure about how to finish so I just went with tried and true CA.

Last edited:
Top Bottom