Friendly Reminder

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

WriteON

Concentrate. I drifted while using a new 3/4" very sharp skew. It hit the headstock wheel and went it airborne. Hit the ground pretty hard…. Would have injured me if I got hit. Be careful

Attachments

• EBE491FC-30D5-4559-A703-63FD59F51AE8.jpeg
    EBE491FC-30D5-4559-A703-63FD59F51AE8.jpeg
    197.5 KB · Views: 154
Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
Thanks for the reminder. Additionally, if others, like me, have periods of time away from the shop... Do a few simple practice cuts on some scrap; just get the 'muscle memory' back.

Thanks for sharing. You're very lucky! Last time I did something like that I had a bruise on my chin for a week. The beard did cover it up though. Glad you're okay and weren't hurt.

This is why I never go out there when I'm tired and I only listen to more mellow music out there (nothing distracting or too upbeat where I start to listen along). I've been careful so far (closed-toe shoes, work apron, face shield, etc). Better safe than sorry!

This is why I never go out there when I'm tired and I only listen to more mellow music out there (nothing distracting or too upbeat where I start to listen along). I've been careful so far (closed-toe shoes, work apron, face shield, etc). Better safe than sorry!
When I get melancholy I find that AC/DC or Guns and Roses does the trick. Really gets the blood pumping! Frank, Dean and Sammy just don't cut it. But other times, mellow music is needed and I enjoy Frank and the other Rat Packer's and some others do the trick.

WriteON

Concentrate. I drifted while using a new 3/4" very sharp skew. It hit the headstock wheel and went it airborne. Hit the ground pretty hard…. Would have injured me if I got hit. Be careful
I drifted mentally .....hand the tool in my left hand while inspecting the turned blank. I generally put the chisel down as soon as I step back...this time I did not.
When I get melancholy I find that AC/DC or Guns and Roses does the trick. Really gets the blood pumping! Frank, Dean and Sammy just don't cut it. But other times, mellow music is needed and I enjoy Frank and the other Rat Packer's and some others do the trick.
Or Jazz or Motown.

jttheclockman

I always find myself taking long breaks in the summer to work on house projects and my shop tools and machinery usually get down time. So when I do get back I try to do some simple cuts with tablesaw and lathe work before I once again get serious. This does wake up the memory habits and movements. Just be careful because each tool can hurt.

I'm currently on a Patsy Cline kick, but Sinatra makes me want to sway along, so I don't listen to him. I also enjoy the "O Brother where art thou?" Soundtrack and some Allison Krause when I need mellow but not too slow (or the "Ladykillers" soundtrack- old timey blues/gospel type music).
But Back in Black is always acceptable in the shuffle! 😆😆

I'm currently on a Patsy Cline kick, but Sinatra makes me want to sway along, so I don't listen to him. I also enjoy the "O Brother where art thou?" Soundtrack and some Allison Krause when I need mellow but not too slow (or the "Ladykillers" soundtrack- old timey blues/gospel type music).
But Back in Black is always acceptable in the shuffle! 😆😆

I can listen to just about anything...except Rap, I guess it's an age thing. Today I started out in the shop with Tom Petty, moved to the Allman Brothers, then the Marshal Tucker Band and ended with the Rolling Stones (Greatest hits 3 CD's). Not much time in the shop tomorrow but when I'm in it I'll probably have some Bagpipe music on or The Spinners. Of the 3 Rat Packers I like Dean the best. You ever listen to Keb' Mo'? Nothing fancy but really easy to listen to.

WriteON

I can listen to just about anything...except Rap, I guess it's an age thing. Today I started out in the shop with Tom Petty, moved to the Allman Brothers, then the Marshal Tucker Band and ended with the Rolling Stones (Greatest hits 3 CD's). Not much time in the shop tomorrow but when I'm in it I'll probably have some Bagpipe music on or The Spinners. Of the 3 Rat Packers I like Dean the best. You ever listen to Keb' Mo'? Nothing fancy but really easy to listen to.
BagPipes…. Rufus Harley playing Feeling Good from the album Scotch and Soul.
Spinners…. My favorite cut is How Can I. I bought it on a 45rpm in the Pocono's for $.35 in the 60's.

BagPipes…. Rufus Harley playing Feeling Good from the album Scotch and Soul.
Spinners…. My favorite cut is How Can I. I bought it on a 45rpm in the Pocono's for $.35 in the 60's.

I just recently bought an album that my dad and I listened to when I was a kid. Probably cost a couple bucks in the 50's but I ended up paying just over $20.00 for it and it was used but in great shape. I'll have to check out Rufus Harley.

WriteON

I just recently bought an album that my dad and I listened to when I was a kid. Probably cost a couple bucks in the 50's but I ended up paying just over $20.00 for it and it was used but in great shape. I'll have to check out Rufus Harley.
Rufus is not classic bagpipe ....A Jazz piper. You might deflate my tires after you hear it.

Bats

BagPipes….
I spent years living in/around Boston, and the utter lack of random bagpipes in the neighborhood down here is a change I've never really recovered from. Even so, about the only bagpipes that've been playing near my lathe lately have come from Dropkick Murphys or Flogging Molly.

Rufus is not classic bagpipe ....A Jazz piper. You might deflate my tires after you hear it.
I've heard aspiring pipers that sound like deflating tires before.

Top Bottom