Friend with brain cancer

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

knowltoh

I am struggling with what to say to a friend diagnosed with brain cancer. He has been fighting lung cancer for the last year and now has 3 spots in his brain. Physical symptoms are beginning to show and he is quite discouraged. I do not want to say anything stupid or inappropriate. He is in MI and I am in FL for the winter, so this will be a text or email.

Signed-In Members Don't See This Ad

artme

I don't think you are in any danger of saying inappropriate things. You seem to be sensible and sensitive so follow your instincts and tell your friend how you feel and tell him that he has your support and best wishes.

PR_Princess

Herb, we seem to rely upon words so much these days, in email, in text - too much I think.

I recently had a friend diagnosed with 3rd stage melanoma, and I like you struggled to find the right words. Yet everything I wrote seemed contrived somehow. In the end all that worry was for naught.

I think what is important is that you do for him what you have always done - just be there and be his friend. He'll know.

mark james

IAP Collection, Curator
I agree, give him a call. Your true concern and love will come out more in words than in print. What to say... just tell him what you are feeling - honestly feeling.

My thoughts are with your friend.

low_48

Sorry that he will have to go through this. There will be a battle ahead, and you can encourage him to be strong. Offer any assistance you can to his family. Tell him you love him. His life will be centered around the disease. Small talk and some remembrances of past times will be a nice break from the disease fight. The last words I shared with my dying brother, "I hope your final journey be peaceful." We touched each other, and he was dead just over a day latter. Cancer sucks!

Last edited:
Top Bottom